Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #1

Upgrading from interior leather luggage bag to rear speaker back

Has anyone tried this?

I'm upgrading from the unappealing (yet flexible) black leather luggage bag which lives right behind the seats and underneath the honeycombs for the rollbars.

I'm upgarding to the more sturdy looking piece which most people use to have their rear speakers sets embedded into.

However; one problem! There is a metal support piece that the leather luggae bag connects to which is sort of in the way and not allowing a perfect fit. The metal support piece is right smack in the center of the rollbar and connects to the black luggage bag.

My question is, is there a nice way to remove this support piece or is this a handsaw job to saw that metal piece off?

ANY, and absolutely any input would help!

Thank you all.

Jimmy

jimmylau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:11 PM   #2

You remove the center rollbar padding and drill out the rivets for the support.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:59 AM   #3

I just bent it up a little and shoved my plastic rear storage box in there and voila! Done.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:57 AM   #4

Removing center rollbar padding

Hi Toolpants,
I took a look at the parts manual for the boxster and looks like there are rivets indeed. Any easy way to remove the padding? I tried to remove the padding without much success....Perhaps I was trying to remove the padding incorrectly?

Also, if you bent the support piece, will there still be a gap inbetween the center rollbar and the top of the storage box like there is right now. I can't stand that gap....just doesn;t look flush...

Jimmy
jimmylau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylau
Hi Toolpants,
I took a look at the parts manual for the boxster and looks like there are rivets indeed. Any easy way to remove the padding? I tried to remove the padding without much success....Perhaps I was trying to remove the padding incorrectly?

Also, if you bent the support piece, will there still be a gap inbetween the center rollbar and the top of the storage box like there is right now. I can't stand that gap....just doesn;t look flush...

Jimmy

Tool Pants post elsewhere with pics:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2660&pid=14369&st=0&#entry14369

Jimmy, you're lucky living in San Francisco. You're in Tools Pants country. You should go to one of the Boxster car care days they have there.

98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote