Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2005, 09:39 PM   #1

Someone should buy this thing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NEW-2004-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-S_W0QQitemZ4591784419QQcategoryZ6015QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

I was cruising through ebay and this baby caught my eye. The speed yelllow looks stunning against those wheels and brakes. Decked out with the options to have too. I bet Brandywine would knock a couple more grand off if you asked nicely . I'm sure they want to move that thing pretty badly.

Last edited by Adam; 11-20-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:48 AM   #2

I put it on my watchlist - just curious to see how it turns out. My guess would be no one matches their reserve.
Nice car, and I kinda like yellow.

2001 2.7 Speed Yellow
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:43 AM   #3

Pretty car! The BIN price is to high.

Very very few Porsches sell on EBAY.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:52 AM   #4

Kelley Blue Book
Retail $46,000 or so, depending on options.

NADA:
Retail $44,100 - maybe higher with options
Wholesale $41,200

Strategy - bid $40,000 to make your presence known. Reserve will probably not be met. Call and negotiate around $44-45,000 after the auction ends. What a heck of a nice car for that price. If they take it to auction they're looking at less than $44.

"So many cars, so little money".
Old 11-21-2005, 07:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Pretty car! The BIN price is to high.

Very very few Porsches sell on EBAY.

I think you mean few new Porsches sell there.
older 911's, 928's,944's,914 sell all the time.
Ebay does well with older cars their share of the used car online sales
in general is insane.

But I think Brandwine set the BIN price high to rain in some leads. That's how
I found my Boxster. After a price negotiation we relisted the car and and I did the purchase in the showroom on a laptop.

Speed Yellow was my second choice after silver/red. Except those painted side intakes, looks kind of cheap.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
Kelley Blue Book
Retail $46,000 or so, depending on options.

NADA:
Retail $44,100 - maybe higher with options
Wholesale $41,200

Strategy - bid $40,000 to make your presence known. Reserve will probably not be met. Call and negotiate around $44-45,000 after the auction ends. What a heck of a nice car for that price. If they take it to auction they're looking at less than $44.

"So many cars, so little money".
Are you telling me KBB thinks a 250 mile never titled Box S is only worth 46k? Maybe a stripper yah, but did you see the options on that thing. Lits,wheels, painted bars and tunnel, sport seats(i wish I had sport seats!) just to name a few. That thing had to have a sticker over 60k easy. Must be a bad time to be a seller
Old 11-21-2005, 04:21 PM   #7

The most recent 04 S models to go through the lane on Manheim were in late September in West Palm. $39,500 for a 1,700 mile car (6spd) and $41,500 for a 2,600 mile car (tip).

03's are doing in the $33's with 18K miles...

I don't care what year a car is as long as the price is consistent with the Depreciation. Titled, MSO...It doesn't matter!!! In many cases you are better off buying a current model year car instead of the left over depending on how stuff is priced and how bad they get whacked for a model year.
sdkkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkkv
! In many cases you are better off buying a current model year car instead of the left over depending on how stuff is priced and how bad they get whacked for a model year.
Man, that is crazy. Glad I don't intend on selling my ride. How would buying a current model be better than getting a sweet deal on a 03/04 as far as depreciation is concerned? Porsche sold almost twice as many 05's compared to the 04's. I wonder why the car market is so soft right now?

Last edited by Adam; 11-21-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:38 AM   #9

Car pricing is a funny thing. It's also variable, in the sense that a given car might sell for $42,000 one week and the same car sell for $46,000 the next week. Just depends on who wants it.

See the attached sales figures for US autos for September (bottom after text). Couple of thoughts - notice who the low volume leader is? Porsche. A remarkable car, and I love driving the Box more than anything I've ever owned. But the small market size introduces flux into the pricing - a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay at some given moment.

Toyota Corolla? Very stable pricing because of the volume of cars sold. A commodity if you will. Take a 2004 Corolla with XXXX miles to auction and you can predict within 50-75 dollars what it will bring. And there is less spread between wholesale and retail prices. It's a commodity.

Porsches? Bigger spread between wholesale and retail. They may move quickly, and they may not - especially a yellow car since 50% of the Porsche buyers want silver. The low volume market can be a tricky place, but Porsche has obviously figured out how to dwell, and thrive, there. Even in well managed strategies, though, occassionally one slips through the cracks (the 2004 yellow car). And it's a bargain for some lucky buyer in the right place at the right time. Doesn't mean by any stretch that the overall economics of Boxsters has changed at all - it hasn't (the sky is not falling). Just a isolated quirk in a low volume system.

And back to the original post - yes, someone should jump on it.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0410/03/autos-291173.htm
Old 11-25-2005, 06:17 AM   #10

The spread on the Boxster isn't as extreme as some other cars but you still need to make sure any discount is keeping up with the drop in value year over year. My point is if you can get an 06 at an 8% discount or an 05 at a 9% discount...TAKE THE 2006!!!

sdkkv is offline   Reply With Quote