986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Prolonging Window Regulator Life? Getting rid of grinding noise? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/42653-prolonging-window-regulator-life-getting-rid-grinding-noise.html)

supertarmac 01-08-2013 03:42 PM

Prolonging Window Regulator Life? Getting rid of grinding noise?

Hey Guys,

Good evening to you all.:)

This morning my passenger side window started to make the grinding noise when going up and down that indicates the window regulator that is about to go bad. It works fine at the moment, but started with the noise.

I've done a search and found out that for some of you the when windows first starts to make the noise it starts to get stuck in a matter of days and for some others it continues to work fine for months.

I wanted to know if there is some component I could grease or lubricate to prolong the life of the regulator and maybe get rid of the noise? Where I live Porsche parts a very expensive and might take more than a month to get the part.

And also, if this has happened to your car, how long did it last between when it started with the noise and when it stopped working at all?

Thank you so much in advanced :o

san rensho 01-08-2013 05:20 PM

Try this.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/36737-how-hard-replace-window-regulator.html

supertarmac 01-08-2013 05:57 PM

Thanks San Rensho,

I had seen this thread earlier today and tried the suggested lubricating the pulleys via the access plugs on the underside of the door. It made no difference in the grinding sound.

I have no issue in replacing the regulator myself. The problem is getting the part. I have to have it shipped here from the US and that may take longer than a month.

Hopefully the window won't stop working until then?

supertarmac 01-08-2013 06:13 PM

If I lubricate the cables directly will the noise diminish?

thom4782 01-08-2013 06:29 PM

I'd suggest this. Order the part now so it arrives sooner than later. In the meantime, remove the inner door panel and see if you can isolate the source of the grinding noise. Hopefully, it is the regulator and you can fix it temporarily. There is one risk to my suggestion. It may be the motor that is making the noise.

navyc130fe 01-08-2013 07:11 PM

My regulator was doing the same thing, other than the annoying noise, the window would stick on the top and not go down enough when opening the door. Even so, I ran it like that for 1.5 yrs before replacing it when I did the RMS/IMS. It never did totally fail.

supertarmac 01-08-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom4782 (Post 323072)
I'd suggest this. Order the part now so it arrives sooner than later. In the meantime, remove the inner door panel and see if you can isolate the source of the grinding noise. Hopefully, it is the regulator and you can fix it temporarily. There is one risk to my suggestion. It may be the motor that is making the noise.

Will do, thanks!

supertarmac 01-08-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navyc130fe (Post 323078)
My regulator was doing the same thing, other than the annoying noise, the window would stick on the top and not go down enough when opening the door. Even so, I ran it like that for 1.5 yrs before replacing it when I did the RMS/IMS. It never did totally fail.

Thanks for the input, I greatly appreciate it. Now that you mention it, before today, sometimes the window used to stick on the top not lowering enough when opening the door exactly like in your case. Thanks again! Hopefully mine doesn't fail before I get the part.

supertarmac 01-09-2013 06:06 AM

Anyone else has had experience with this? Many thanks in advanced