Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2005, 08:19 AM   #1

Plastic Window replacement

In reading a few posts, I've noticed the topic of replacing the rear plastic window by non porsche shops. A friend of mine owns a 2001 BoxsterS and had his rear plastic window replaced 18 months ago. That replacement is now falling apart. Any recommendations on how to find a good shop to perform this work? We're in the Boston area.

Old 11-11-2005, 09:29 AM   #2

My shop scratched the rear plastic window inadvertently (of course) and they said there is no good change of window. They gave me a new top altogether. I don't know the price for sure but I think I heard it was between $1200 and $1500.
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:02 PM   #3

Call around to some upholstery shops. Call the local Porsche dealership and ask what shop they use for upholstery needs. The cost should be in the $400-$500 range. Try to get a warranty with it.

When a new plastic window is installed it's actually a little bit bigger than the old one because they have to cut out the old one completely including the seams. Since it's already been replaced once, you may not be able to do it again, or you might but the window is going to be even bigger.

Why not get a new glass window top? They run about $700 or so on ebay and should cost about 500-600 to install - or you can try the install yourself if your comfortable with that kind of stuff. Several 986forum members have purchased the new glass window top and seem to be happy with it.

good luck,
Larez2

larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote