Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #1

How to Install License Plates?

I just got the plates for my 197 and can't figure out how to install them.

Does anyone know of a good step-by-step instruction? or do i bite the bullet and take a couple of hours to have the dealer do it.

Thanks

TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #2

Do you have no holes drilled? Front, back or both? I don't have a plate ont he front and take my chances, many do. If you just bought the car I'd have thought the dealer would have done it for you, of they try to charge you I'd be a little miffed with them.

Do you have mounting hardware? Black plastic frame thing? Screws?
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:17 AM   #3

I must say that the screws supplied with the Porsche front license plate kit are far too skinny to keep the plastic frame attached. Mine fell right out after I installed it. Really, it just fell right onto the garage floor as I pulled the car out!

You'll have to take the black screws that come with the kit to home depot and find really fat ones to sufficiently widen the plastic piece that goes into the holes and spreads behind it to hold the thing in place. In this case, girth is more important than length. <-- No enuendo intended, although it does read a little funny!

You know, we all get screwed with the outrageous prices we pay for Porsche parts, but when we actually buy a Porsche screw, it doesn't work!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:01 AM   #4

On my '99 I have two about 1" sq. rubber/plastic spacer blocks, plus a plastic plate the size of a license plate that says "PORSCHE" on it, and two screws to hold all that to the front bumper. If I recall correctly, the blocks have an angled face on the back (bumper) side to match the contour of the bumper.
If all that is missing, then the PO apparently did not have a front plate mounted.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:34 AM   #5

I had the dealer install the license plate mount on the front bumper when the car was delivered so it has the dealer frame (which I will swap out with a solid frame) and the cardboard advert for the dealer (in place of the plate). I think I have to take off the plate mount, which is a plastic box that sits on the bumper, to install the front plate, but can't figure out how to get it off. I tried reaching up under and around the bumper.

Same problem with the back plate; i guess you access the bolts for the screws by reaching under and up behind the rear bumper, but the car is so low, it's hard to get leverage.

I think I'll just take it to the dealer :-(
Old 11-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #6

There should just be a couple of screws 2 or 4 to match the holes in the license plate. If not it must snap off or be taped in place maybe. If you rip the cardboard off can you see anything?

Just don't want the techs to snigger at you if it's really easy!
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15
I had the dealer install the license plate mount on the front bumper when the car was delivered so it has the dealer frame (which I will swap out with a solid frame) and the cardboard advert for the dealer (in place of the plate). I think I have to take off the plate mount, which is a plastic box that sits on the bumper, to install the front plate, but can't figure out how to get it off. I tried reaching up under and around the bumper.

Same problem with the back plate; i guess you access the bolts for the screws by reaching under and up behind the rear bumper, but the car is so low, it's hard to get leverage.

I think I'll just take it to the dealer :-(

Hi,

The screws are not Machine Screws, they have no Nuts behind them. They are Large Sheet Metal Screws and have Nylon Bushes they screw into, just extract the screws. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #8

Thanks Jim! I didn't realize that.

Now i just have to figure out what kind of a screwdriver to use--the screws aren't the standard or Phillips. I don't even know how to describe the head.