986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   supercharger (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4204-supercharger.html)

donjuan143 11-08-2005 08:39 PM

supercharger

I have found this on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-944-928-Boxster-Supercharger-turbo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33741QQitemZ80117 57736QQrdZ1

anyone tired it? is it good?

threpwood 11-08-2005 08:56 PM

how this can increase engine's psi and be called supercharger? It looks like just an air intake mod, not even close to turbo :)

Brucelee 11-09-2005 06:15 AM

The general consensus on this seems to be that it can't work in theory or in practice.

:cheers:

Rail26 11-09-2005 08:11 PM

I am of average intelligence and not an expert, however I am smart enough to realize that there really isn't all that much to do for a porsche. The engine is highly tuned, the aerodynamics have been optimized and the suspension is built right. Maybe there is a few MINOR things you can do to help the car, but if you want more HP, buy a 911 or Cayman. Just my opinion and I'm usually wrong so you have that going for you.

Brucelee 11-10-2005 06:26 AM

Actually, I think you are very dead-on here. However, with several qualifiers I would add.

Yes, you can do tons of things to the Box to generate increased performance. However, the serious power comes with:

-A very high price tag that will certainly turn off many would-be racers.

-A low probability that these costs will be recoverable from later buyers of said car

-A likely decrease in streetability of the Box

-An increase in maint. and repair costs

-An increase in tire expense

-An increase in speeding tickets and later on, insurance rates.

Given all these caveats, there plenty of folks who want your money!

Let the good times roll!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail26
I am of average intelligence and not an expert, however I am smart enough to realize that there really isn't all that much to do for a porsche. The engine is highly tuned, the aerodynamics have been optimized and the suspension is built right. Maybe there is a few MINOR things you can do to help the car, but if you want more HP, buy a 911 or Cayman. Just my opinion and I'm usually wrong so you have that going for you.

Pilot2519j 11-10-2005 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail26

Rail you now impress me. All the gizmos to enhance the performance of a Box are very expensive with minimal returns if any at all. The item in question the supercharger, there is a company with a website http://imagineauto.com/ that has a supercharger for the Boxster. A new product. I would say it is going to be from $5,000 to $10,000 range.
In your next post I'll hear from you are driving a fixed wing airplane, wow. :)

threpwood 11-10-2005 06:20 PM

Pilot, now this is what I called a supercharger :) I want one though if it doesn't void the car warranty.

threpwood 11-11-2005 04:20 PM

FYI: I got quoted $8000 for a supercharger for the S version from imagineauto. It might go a little less for the base boxster as it requires less kit as what I was told.

jonomo 11-11-2005 04:52 PM

I like how its SO reputable that it doesn't even have a brand name... not even a fake one... at least take the time to come up with a creative name for it...

looks like a part from a leaf blower that he just installed the filter on... i think it would be better to just have the K&N airfilter minus that weird fan.... it probably constricts airflow more than anything else...

I wunder how many of those $10 leaf blower fans that guy has sold.... a nice profit in my opinion.. ;)

threpwood 11-12-2005 03:48 AM

After talking to a rep from imagineauto (www.imagineauto.com), I feel close to being persuaded in ordering one despite voiding the engine warranty...There is a lot of 'higher end' Porsches but not Boxster with supercharger.

Before I decide to burn $8000 in my pocket, anybody has any thought about the supercharger? Any opinions are welcome.

MNBoxster 11-12-2005 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threpwood
After talking to a rep from imagineauto (www.imagineauto.com), I feel close to being persuaded in ordering one despite voiding the engine warranty...There is a lot of 'higher end' Porsches but not Boxster with supercharger.

Before I decide to burn $8000 in my pocket, anybody has any thought about the supercharger? Any opinions are welcome.

Hi,

My thought - Save your $8000 - don't do it - you won't be making the Car better...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Of course, as always, just my humble $0.02 :)

Biz-z Z 11-12-2005 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threpwood

Just a couple things I’d like to mention, and I’m no tech guy as you will see:

Superchargers sound good and it seems to me we all crave more hp/tq. This one’s a centrifugal s/c which means you will find the max power you are looking for at the upper end of the rpm band. Is that where you want to go to get it? Nothing wrong with that, mind you. I’ve got a similar non-intercooled s/c (7 lbs boost) on my daily driver, a ’99 Miata. It zips right along but the motor has to be cooking up around 4500-5000 before the difference really begins to be seen. I don’t know of any centrifugals that give you a lot of real low end pull, and typically that’s where most folks want the extra muscle. You may want to ask the proprietor for a dyno graph overlay depicting the hp and tq over the rpm band on the Box 3.2 litre with and without their s/c so you can see where/when the power is delivered and whether or not that meets your driving style.

Another thing that comes to my untrained eye is there is no mention of the oil/ lubrication system other than the s/c comes with “oil for the blower”. The charger will need continuous lubrication. That means periodically you will have to go in and unscrew something and check and add oil to whatever reservoir it has as opposed to having a constant feed/return from the engine’s oil supply like Vortec uses. Some folks say those s/c’s with the permanent oil line last longer.

Presumably, if the s/c serpentine belt breaks, you can limp on home as long as you don’t get the motor up in the area where the GIAC software changes things. That’s how it is with my s/c. I’m kind of a “belt and suspenders” guy so that would be important to me.

Not looking to dis anyone’s product here and certainly the rest of the ladies and gents on this board are free to disagree and hopefully correct me if I’ve stated something wrong.

Having said, the little boy in me keeps saying, "Go get it and come back and tell us how really really great it is, so I can get one too!"

Zib :cheers:

JP-s-in st. louis 11-12-2005 09:29 PM

My 2000 S is at Imagine Auto right now having the S/C installed! I have dealt with Imagine Auto for a few years and find them to be a class A operation. Stephen is very well respected in the 996 and 930 group (see 6speedonline). Imagine also had one of the 996TT in the "High Roller Shootout" featured in Excellence last year.

For day to day driving the S/C does not factor in till you reach a higher RPM range. Stephen has assured me that this is safe HP and we will be running safe boost (4-6lbs). Please go to 6speedonline and check his reputation out I promise it is impeccable. I want to go fast but keep my 3.2 in one piece. I should see it in a few weeks and let you all know how scary fast it is. My first night I want to find a stock 996TT and see how I fair.

threpwood 11-13-2005 06:06 PM

Your bravery will not be forgotten :D

JP in St Louis, please post pictures and other info when you can (even while it's still in installation). I'd love to see how it fits!

JP-s-in st. louis 11-13-2005 07:53 PM

I have seen one installed on the 2.5 and the only way to see it is by being looking from under the car on the passenger side. A mirror alwo works if you put it under the car.

Brucelee 11-14-2005 06:17 AM

If it were me, I would sell the 2.5 and go with an S.

Simply a better car, IMHO.

JP-s-in st. louis 11-14-2005 10:45 AM

Bruce: Thats what I think also thats why I bought the 3.2. But damm I still want more. The location is the same on all the cars. I can tell you that the 2.5 with the S/C can run down a S (3.2) with ease.

I have my eye on my next toy a 930 or 964 turbo 3.6. But I cant swing that for about a year or two.

Biz-z Z 11-14-2005 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
Bruce: Thats what I think also thats why I bought the 3.2. But damm I still want more. The location is the same on all the cars. I can tell you that the 2.5 with the S/C can run down a S (3.2) with ease.

I have my eye on my next toy a 930 or 964 turbo 3.6. But I cant swing that for about a year or two.

Are you going to dyno your car after the s/c installation? Are there any additional modifications needed like a clutch upgrade or strengthening the internals?

Brucelee 11-14-2005 03:45 PM

Check out the following site. My dream car is to find a washed out 968 Coupe and drop in a blown LS2 engine.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/currentprojects.html

threpwood 11-14-2005 05:12 PM

Brucelee, 968 with LS2 engine? Let's call it "Porschvette" :)