Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

What an Idiot I am!!!!!!!!

We just bought a 986 Boxster and on the 5 hour drive home the stereo was terrible, crackly and generally thin poor sound.
I didn`t recognize the brand of speakers in the doors ( MB quart) and presumed they were some cheap unknown rubbish.

So I did a bit of research and ended up purchasing a pair of Alpine SPG-10C2 and a Boxster 986 specific adaptor kit to replace the dash speakers, on the basis that the dash speakers are a known weak spot.

I thought to change the dash speakers and see what a difference that made before changing those in the doors, seemed like a reasonable plan of attack....wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as the kit from JMG arrived I set about removing the dash speakers and.. Help, what the heck is all this? Underneath the the dash speaker covers were all sorts of amps, crossover and assorted MB quart sound system gubbins.
No way were my shiny new Alpines going to fit without removing all this kit first.

Further investigation revealed a broken cable and a dry solder joint. Once these had been given some first aid.... TAAA DAAAHH!!!! Brilliant quality sound throughout the car.

I can`t make up my mind if I feel elated or deflated!
I really should have checked first before jumping to the assumption, I know.

Moving on though, if anyone here fancies a cheap set of brand new Alpines and fitting kit for a bargain price, just let me know.

On a different tack does anyone know where I might be able to get a replacement cover for one of the 6.5 inch MB quart units in the doors?

Ah well, we live and learn!

peterzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #2

Don't feel bad. We all screw up from time to time. As for the speaker covers, check online with Pelican Parts. They have them, and they won't cost you a testicle, either.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #3

In my prior car, a 300Z, I had MB Quart speakers installed by a high-end audio shop. When the system was installed, it was the best stereo I've ever heard in a car. The MB Quarts must have been good quality.

PS: Imagine my surprise when I bought the 01S and the factory system sounded like a Walkman through $20 earphones
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #4

Garage
MB Quart is a high quality brand. When I worked at Beverly Hills Motoring accessories custom vehicle division that's all they used to replace oem speakers.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Idiot you be not! I'm impressed you found the problem just now being a new Boxster owner...good for you! Welcome to the forum! Post pics...
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
SPB racer

Garage
Boxsters have a stereo?
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Homeboy981

Garage
What? I'm the idiot! I actually bought an ENTIRE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM for this car, and aside form the NAV….turn it down to listen to the exhaust!

Or with air in your hair, who cares?

"elated or deflated" you'll fit right in! Welcome!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #8

Just another reflex action. I had MB Quart speakers in my BMW. In fact, I put them in the dash of the boxster. However, they take ALOT of power to sound good. When it came to putting speakers in the doors, I used Polk Audio.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #9

I've been thinking about buying a new System for my car but with the engine behind my ears and all the noise that comes with the roof down I think it's going to be very hard for me to find something satisfactory.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #10

Garage
Stereo vs. Exhaust

First post, very happy to be here! This forum is fantastic. Anyway, I recently purchased a 2000 Boxster S(stock) and it came with the upgraded Hi-Fi system. While I do like listening to music in clarity(this current system defies that clarity), I have decided that rockin' the revs will be more enjoyable. That's why instead of sinking $1k-1.5k into a good system, I will be sinking $700(including install) into a 2ndary cat bypass and tuning in to what I think will be listened to more often. I am new to this forum, the car, and performance/sound modifications... so any wisdom/constructive criticism is welcome.
murphy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Welcome! Good to have you on board. 2000 'S'...nice choice . The first thing you have to do is go to Show and Tell and post pics then you are officially part of the family.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy986 View Post
First post, very happy to be here! This forum is fantastic. Anyway, I recently purchased a 2000 Boxster S(stock) and it came with the upgraded Hi-Fi system. While I do like listening to music in clarity(this current system defies that clarity), I have decided that rockin' the revs will be more enjoyable. That's why instead of sinking $1k-1.5k into a good system, I will be sinking $700(including install) into a 2ndary cat bypass and tuning in to what I think will be listened to more often. I am new to this forum, the car, and performance/sound modifications... so any wisdom/constructive criticism is welcome.
Welcome!! Have fun, the stereo is a non important component IMHO. Just enjoy that 6 cylinder symphony
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #13

Garage
Thanks for the welcome Whip and Bryan! I'll check out the show and tell for posting pics and as far as the symphony of six...seems like the best crescendo starts around 4200rpm. Stereo staying off for now. Passenger + long haul = stereo consideration (with option to mute at predetermined rpm ranges)
murphy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #14

I did the same thing with an Audi TT I bought a few yrs ago. Plan was to fix a few items and resell it. It was shooting a CEL that said the MAF was bad. So I order a MAF. It arrives and I dig in to replace it. See the hose from the air filter isn't attached properly! DOAHHH! There was $100 I probably didn't need to spend. I put the MAF on anyway.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #15

Garage
I have a 2000 Boxster...looking at an exhaust upgrade? Performance and sound - any ideas?>
Ds80w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy986 View Post
Thanks for the welcome Whip and Bryan! I'll check out the show and tell for posting pics and as far as the symphony of six...seems like the best crescendo starts around 4200rpm. Stereo staying off for now. Passenger + long haul = stereo consideration (with option to mute at predetermined rpm ranges)
Funny thing, I was really bummed with the stereo sound & wanted to upgrade it. But after taking a few long drives with the wife in the car I kept asking "Do you want to turn the radio on or listen to a CD?". Her response was nope, I like hearing the sounds of the car. I was stunned!!
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
2000 Boxster S

Garage
I've been doing some research also on upgrading the stereo on my 2000 Boxster S. I think I am going with either the Alpine - 50W x 4 Apple® iPod®-Ready In-Dash CD Deck with MP3 Playback, Model: CDE-133BT
or
Pioneer - 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®-Ready In-Dash CD Deck, Model: DEH-X6500BT

Nothing expensive or big sound.....but should do the job.

rcbox2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster , mb quart , speakers , stereo