986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Stripped Oil Drain Plug (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/41831-stripped-oil-drain-plug.html)

mcomet 12-24-2012 10:35 AM

Stripped Oil Drain Plug

Sooooo....
I did my first ever oil change in my Boxster this morning...went mostly fine other that the newbie mistake of letting the oil come out too fast for the container I was using...heh...

However on putting the new drain plug and crush washer on... I set it to the spec 37 ft lb torque.. did not click and I seemingly went too far and started stripping the 8mm socket hole... I know I stopped as soon as I caught it... I should have stopped when it felt "tight"... Don't know why this happened... but I can gather an Alumnimum plug is not a good mix here or maybe my socket wasn't all the way in or something...

Regardless I am left with a drain plug that may or may not be removeable... I left it for now and finished the oil change... Anyone have any advice for how to get this out next time now? And also a replacement drain plug rather than the aluminum one? I seem to have read about an LN one? I might just take to dealer next to let them deal with removal...sigh.

thanks,
comet

ChrisZang 12-24-2012 10:59 AM

as the plug is already ruined, I would take a 9 mm hex bit and hammer it in and then slowly screw it out
I have the LN magnetic drain plug which feels much more solid

mcomet 12-24-2012 11:11 AM

Sounds like a plan. Do you use the same crush washer type with the LN ?
I am happy that I saved $200 off the dealer heh.

blue2000s 12-24-2012 12:01 PM

You can get it out in a couple of easy ways. A torx bit can do a pretty good job of getting into the corners of the recess of a stripped allen. You could also use a drill bit designed to reverse out bolts with stripped threads. Hardware stores sell them.

Meir 12-24-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcomet (Post 320878)
Sounds like a plan. Do you use the same crush washer type with the LN ?
I am happy that I saved $200 off the dealer heh.

the LN plug use the same crash washer.

thstone 12-24-2012 12:29 PM

Usually when the barrel of a hex head bolt starts to strip from being overtightened, only those sides/faces of the bolt for tightening are deformed - the opposite sides/faces of the bolt used for removal are hopefully undamaged and the bolt will come right out. If not, use the next size up hex head or a torx or a specialty removal tool (e-z out) that is left-handed and will bite into the barrel material for removal.

san rensho 12-24-2012 01:19 PM

Another method is to take a small chisel and make a notch on the outer part of the plug, then angle the chisel so that when you hit it, it loosens the plug. Then yes, get the LN mag plug which is only tightened to 19 ft lbs.

blue2000s 01-20-2013 05:21 PM

Well, whatever happened?

mcomet 01-20-2013 05:26 PM

Right now nothing, holding fine... I figure when I do my next oil change I will remove using a large diameter socket as suggested, and next time will use the LN magnetic drain plug. If I am lazy I will take to dealer to let them get it out...but I imagine I'll be able to do it...

AndyA6 01-20-2013 05:56 PM

Before you take the plug out give it a good whack with a hammer straight up.
I had the same happen to me, try to loosen. 1 Porsche tech and 1 Audi tech told me about this trick independent from each other, obviously not uncommon.....

Ckrikos 01-20-2013 06:07 PM

Nice thing about the LN magnetic plug is that it tightens at 19 ft/lbs so you only need one torque wrench between the filter and the drain plug.

986_c6 01-20-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyA6 (Post 324483)
Before you take the plug out give it a good whack with a hammer straight up.
I had the same happen to me, try to loosen. 1 Porsche tech and 1 Audi tech told me about this trick independent from each other, obviously not uncommon.....

Good to know.:cheers:

AndyA6 01-21-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986_c6 (Post 324503)
Good to know.:cheers:

Just to make 100% clear, do not whack too hard!!!