986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How to maintain the mechanics to the convertible top. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4182-how-maintain-mechanics-convertible-top.html)

blinkwatt 11-06-2005 11:14 AM

How to maintain the mechanics to the convertible top.

I remember hearing somewhere on this board about spraying some part of the top to help make sure it is lubricated and moves easily. Can someone help me as to where I should be applying the WD-40?

Ronzi 11-07-2005 07:52 AM

What I have done is set the top in the half-open position and dribble a few drops of light wt. oil (I used 3-in-1) whereever it looked like the mechanism swiveled, rotated, hinged, etc.
Wrap the joint in a paper towel first, to avoid dripping oil on the top fabric.

bmussatti 11-07-2005 08:05 AM

blinkwatt, here is an excerpt from on old thread:

Quote:

"Could you please share with us what lubricant you use on the top joints and rear cover, and photos of where they get applied, if possible.

Thanks, appreciate your advice and assistance!"

Originally Posted by grease

I will try to get some photos this weekend of the lubrication points and post them on my website and here. I'm fixing my clutch in the 928 so that's taking precedence right now (tired of driving the Intrepid ). Hopefully I will have that finished in the next few days (parts to arrive tomorrow ) so I can do some nuisance fix-it on the Boxster over the weekend and take some pics.

For the lubricant, I use white lithium paste on all of the metal joints. A Q-tip is my applicator. I use plumber's grease (available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) where the plastic parts meet. Using the plumber's grease on the plastic joint areas has stopped the cracking sounds in the top. Plumber's grease is safe for plastic and I don't think white lithium is so that's why I use two different greases.

deliriousga 11-07-2005 04:41 PM

The white lithium and plumbers grease is still working. No squeeks or cracking sounds. :D

If you use something like a 3 in 1 liquid lubricant it can run off within about a week. My local dealer used a paste grease when I took it to them during the warranty period.

RandallNeighbour 11-08-2005 06:55 AM

There is a track on both sides of the top that moves the clamshell up and down. Inside that track, there's a plastic piece that moves back and forth, sliding inside the track. Lubricating that really helps. WD40 is too light and will get everywhere. Lithium grease on a cotton swab works great as suggested above.

The other thing to examine is the ball joints and rubber gasket pieces that raise the top and move the clamshell up and down. Open the top half way and you can see these. Insure the nuts are on tight (one of mine had fallen off causing a cracking sound and could have really messed up my top mechanism had the bolt fallen out of the hole!)

I'm as concerned about my top as I am with my engine or transmission. There's lots of parts in it and it just makes sense to open it half way and give it a good eyeball once or twice a year to look for loose bolts, lube moving parts and check to see all is in proper working order.