Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #1

Questions about Windblocker/Windscreen

My recently purchased 1997 boxster does not have the wind deflector that sits between the two roll hoops. Is this something that is worthwhile getting? I already have the screens between the hoops. Will the blocker make a big diffrence??

Also, is there any way of telling if the wind screen was ever installed in the car. From some reading I have done in seems like you must get clips and mounts if it has never been installed before. Is this correct?

Also, where is the best place to get the windblocker /windscreen. Best price?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bigwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #2

The screen makes a world of difference. One day I was driving on the highway without it and I noticed in the rearview mirror my ears flapping in the wind! Trust me, it's hard to look cool with that goin' on!

There should be some clips on the inside of the roll bars as seen in the attached pic.

I see them on eBay a lot, they're pretty expensive anywhere you go. Are they worth it? Well, my car came with the screen, but if it blew off or got stolen, I'd definately replace it!
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #3

I agree with Jeph.
My car came with the screen, and I took it out to find out what is was like to drive without it. I put it back in after about 10 minutes.
Especially if you are a bit taller, the screen calms the interior down. If you have the grills in the rollbar hoops, that would suggest you had the screen, and it has been removed. Try checking under the storage bag, 'cos you might find it there.
aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #4

Without the deflector, it's like running in a wind tunnel or doing a sky diving. Worth every penny I would think if you drive with top down often.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:52 AM   #5

Definitely Ebay for the cheapest one. Find one ending at an odd time, say during the day or not a Sunday evening and the final price will be cheaper just because fewer bidders are there at the last seconds of the auction.

Expect to pay about $125 for it on Ebay in good condition, with or without the little cloth bag it comes in that you'll never use (because it always stays on, even with the top up!)
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:57 AM   #6

yes you can find it on ebay BUT, what you really need is the clip (which holds the screen on to the car) that rivets on to the rollbar as well. and i have not seen that on ebay. i had to order mine from the dealer (mine broke) and it was about 50~60 $$. and be careful taking off the leather padding on the rollbar, use a thick towel and a big a$$ phillips.

kajita is offline   Reply With Quote