Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2003, 01:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Bikini
check engine light!

when the key is turned to on, and the engine oil indicator is doing its light thing, does it settle down before you start the engine. Mine is continuing to blink around and I got a check engine light today. This after my 30K mile checkout last week. What would you do. Back to the dealer? Also, it came on after backing out of a STEEP inclined driveway. Though maybe fuel sloshed somewhere or something having to do with fuel. My cap is tight and I have half a tank.

Bikini

Old 06-28-2003, 03:13 PM   #2

Since you mentioned a tight gas cap; I would suspect either the oxygen sensor may be faulty or the fuel mixture is out of balance. I had a similar problem with my 01 car around 10k miles this past January. Turned out to be fuel problem with the weather change (North florida has 2 seasons: summer and January). Gasoline companies modify additives with climate change. The dealer had several cars (from all models) with Check Engine" warnings. They had to adjust the fuel mixture. The problem went away.
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 03:48 PM   #3
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Bikini
Answer me this guys. When my oil level gauge settles down, the level mark above the full arrow is lit. Does this mean that the engine has too much oil in it?????

Bikini
Old 07-01-2003, 07:42 AM   #4

One segment is not very much oil. I do my own changes and last time it was just like yours. After putting miles on the car enough oil had burned to bring it down to the full arrow.

If there is way too much oil, like about 2 quarts, it can get sucked into the intake and you will see a lot of smoke out of the tail pipe.

Would not worry about it. Jeff

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote