986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   front bumper suggestions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4176-front-bumper-suggestions.html)

nautiquelfe 11-05-2005 08:18 PM

front bumper suggestions

does anyone know what porsche factory bumpers will fit my 99 boxster. or perhaps a not so aggressive looking aftermarket style. I'd considered a 911 or gt3 but worry about easy fitment. any insight or experience greatly appreciated.

olly986 11-06-2005 01:08 AM

fitted front turbo look bumper from a company in england called essential styling you can check their web site, it will give you an idea on look, the only problem we encounter is that you will have to paint the metal brackets behind the bumper and maybe cut and trim a little around the light and indicators, i would recommend to get the original turbo grille, but the cut being so big you can see the bracket a lot hence the painting

nastyboxster 11-07-2005 10:15 AM

Check out www.precisionporsche.com, they have the Turbo, GT2 and GT3 bumpers that will fit Boxsters. The GT2 bumper is on special for $800.

Perfectlap 11-07-2005 11:18 AM

I have the factory GT3 (1st 996 generation) front bumper but haven't installed it. Call DEVEK Porsche and see what retention pieces are needed but Many people have it on their Boxsters as the full aerokit option.
I think for the money paid the fiberglass aftermarket bumpers are way way over priced. You're better of going with the Polyurethane factory which will survive a small impact. I have fiberglass side skirt but only because the GT3 (2nd 996 generation) wasn't available from Porsche for the boxster. I got them from Precisionporsche.com and they took about a month to make $430 deliverd. Fit is ok but not quiet factory there are tiny gaps where the rear mud guards used to go. But overall its the best visual upgrade after 18" Carerra wheels.

here's the GT3 (1st 996 generation) with GT3 RS inlets cut into them.
If you want the mesh from the factory to use as a stencil the part number is
try www.carnewal.com
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../789415_40.jpg

fefyfo 11-07-2005 11:54 AM

I tried to get the collision center to install the 996 gt3 front bumper on my 00 box and they said that it wouldn't fit. Also, because it was an accident and the insurance was paying for the repair, they had to make the car exactly how it was. What a shame, I was really looking forward to cutting cost and having my car fitted with genuine porsche aero kit. I looked at a few places and they were all offering fiberglass. Are fiberglass body kits that much of a no-no? PrecisionPorsche has a great deal on a whole kit for 1200.00

olly986 11-07-2005 12:47 PM

hi fefyfo
is this a turbo front look too?
where did you get it and is it fyberglass or different?
I like the rear wing too, did you deactivate the original wing and is it stuck on the boot lid or replacing the original retractable wing
lovely looking car

fefyfo 11-07-2005 12:51 PM

unfortunately, that's not my car. It is from www.precisionporsche.com
It's a fiberglass kit. My car is currently at the collision center waiting to be serviced. I would like that kit installed but the insurance company won't be paying for anything other than OEM for that model year.

olly986 11-07-2005 01:01 PM

had something similar but got a friend of mine who has of bodyshop repair to fit my turbo bumper, i had to pay in advance for the parts which were sent to me then got the insurance to reimburse me later, i manage to change my bumper that way to a turbo look

Perfectlap 11-07-2005 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fefyfo
I tried to get the collision center to install the 996 gt3 front bumper on my 00 box and they said that it wouldn't fit. Also, because it was an accident and the insurance was paying for the repair, they had to make the car exactly how it was. What a shame, I was really looking forward to cutting cost and having my car fitted with genuine porsche aero kit. I looked at a few places and they were all offering fiberglass. Are fiberglass body kits that much of a no-no? PrecisionPorsche has a great deal on a whole kit for 1200.00

from the windshield forward the Boxster and the 996 911 are the same car. Same fenders, hood, headlights. The GT3 Bumper will absolutely fit. Is your body shop familiar with Porsche?
Several board members on here have the the GT3 bumper as part of the factory aerokit option.
I had a fiberglass kit on my Miata from a first rate aftermarket company with very high quality control standards. But fiberglass is an inexpensive materials and should not cost anything near to what factory polyurethane runs.
my rear fiberglass bumper was dented twice by other cars requiring two seperate repairs, not just a repaint.

p.s. I have seen the Turbo bumper in polyurethane being sold on ebay for about $1000.

here's RUF's Boxster with RUF wheels, the Recaro GT3 seats and GT3 front bumper. (needs bolder skirting)
http://www.rufautocentre.com/usedcar.../Car4_Side.jpg

Perfectlap 11-07-2005 02:48 PM

Here's RUF's Boxster front bumper which was being sold in urethane by the Racer's Group at one point. Saw one on ebay once.
http://www.rufautocentre.com/convers...000s-front.jpg

fefyfo 11-08-2005 10:20 AM

Wow! That Ruf front bumper is gorgeous. I got my vehicle towed to another body shop and they said they will put on anything i want. The other place was too "by the book." So now Im leaning towards gt3 or that Ruf one. The Ruf Front bumper is $1700 and change while OEM porsche GT3 is 1200. I would have to put up the difference. Not sure if it's worth it.

Perfectlap 11-08-2005 10:29 AM

what?
its totally worth it! besides if you plan to sell your car at some point it will sell quickly. I think you can do better on price for the GT3 and RUF bumpers. You'll have to do some digging. Try the Rennlist forum in the 911 board.

nastyboxster 11-08-2005 12:41 PM

I like the Ruf bumper the best also, that 's why I'm ordering the GT2 bumper without the bottom lip as this resembles the Ruf bumper the most.

In the attachments, if you take out the mesh grills and the bottom lip, it actually looks better than the Ruf. (See the 99 996 attachment).

fefyfo 11-08-2005 12:46 PM

the GT2 bumper is nice! Unfortunately with an aggresive front end, you would have to back it up with side skirts and wheels. That's a lot of money purely spent on aesthetics. If i wanted to spend any more money, i should've just gotten an "S" in the first place.

nastyboxster 11-08-2005 01:06 PM

You''ll right with the aggressive look. I have side skirts, but they are original factory ones and fairly small compare to these after market ones. The turbo actually looks OK without any skirts or wheels.

I think I'll lean more towards the turbo with the C4S lip.

Perfectlap 11-08-2005 01:38 PM

if you go with an aftermarket fiberglass front bumper you should get the urethane lip spoiler. Best to keep something between the driveway/asphalt and your fragile bumper.