Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2005, 08:02 PM   #1

Oil level

When I turn my boxster on the oil light counts down. When it hits zero the level looks like it is almost at the bottom line. But sometimes it is higher than others. How do I really know when to add oil. If it is at the bottom line does that mean I need a oil change or just ad oil.
thanks

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #2

You need to be consistent each time you check the oil level. Whatever way you do it just do it that same way each time, or you will go crazy.

I do it in the morning before I start the car. There has been plenty of time for the oil to drain down into the pan. If I check it right after driving the car it is not going to match the morning check. Plus the morning count down is like 5 seconds.

The answer to the rest of your question is in the owners manual.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:42 AM   #3

Question

ON a related subject, can anyone tell me how many quarts of Mobil 1 should go in a 2000 Boxster? I don't have the manual, but 986faq.com says 10 quarts.

Their info may be dated, so I'm checking. Putting the girl in hibernation for the Winter, and wanted to put fresh oil in before I do.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #4

It is certainly not 10. Start with 8.5 and check with dipstick. I don't have a manual laying around but 10 will be an overfill.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboat
ON a related subject, can anyone tell me how many quarts of Mobil 1 should go in a 2000 Boxster? I don't have the manual, but 986faq.com says 10 quarts.

Their info may be dated, so I'm checking. Putting the girl in hibernation for the Winter, and wanted to put fresh oil in before I do.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:49 AM   #5

my base 2000 took slightly more than 9 quarts

I just did an oil change on a MY2000 base and it took slightly more than 9 quarts to get to the point where the electronic gage reads one bar down, which is what is recommended. I'm almost inclined to just use 9 quarts in the future which was two bars down.

Our local Posche Club had a session on changing oil done by a Porsche tech. He recommended that the level be one bar down, not at the top. There are some malfunctions (usually serious by the way) that can cause your oil level to go up. If you run at the top bar you loose the ability to "see" a rising oil level.

On another note, some clothes washing detergents are coming in a 300 ounce container. This is a nice way to carry the waste oil to a disposal point. It hold about 9-3/8 quarts so you'll find that the complete drain fits perfectly. It also has a wide opening. I always hated pouring the oil into the old quart containers as it always seemed to create a mess.

John from PA
John from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:33 AM   #6

I must be old fashioned but I still use the dipstick (on cars that have one of course).

Funny how that dipstick was good for say the last 100 years.

Old 11-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #7

Old schooler here - I use both methods. I check the electronic gage every time I start from cold. It only takes a couple of seconds when the oil is drained down. Then I pull the dipstick every Saturday as I have done for all my cars since 1968.
With the Box - the electronic and the dipstick seem to agree fairly well.
Oh, the garage floor is another data point
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 04:05 AM   #8

Smile

On my 2000S , accroding to my manual, it says 9 quarts without changing the filter, 9.3 quarts if replacing the filter.
wonghoiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 04:22 AM   #9

Unhappy coolant finding its way to engine oil!

BTW, My 2000S's low coolant light flashes yesterday so I checked the coolant level in the back. It wasn't that low below the min level, but I ended up adding almost 2-3 quarts to the coolant tank to the mid level between min and max.

But today the warning light flashes back on and the coolant level is back down to yesterday's level again! The funny thing is my oil level(according to dip stick and electronic checking) both says the oil level is over the top! (the electronic gauge used to be at mid level, now is one bar over the top)

Does anyone have that issue? Perhaps coolant finding its way into mixing with oil? My 2-3 quarts of water ended up in the engine...

And does anyone knows what color is the coolant for 2000 boxster S made in Finland? my color is like brown which i think isn't right...
wonghoiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:00 AM   #10

See my post on the other thread on your oil/AF issue.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboat

It's right at 10 quarts if you drain the oil cooler too. Like Brucelee said, start low and let it settle for 10 minutes then check and add, repeat until the proper level is reached.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote