986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   The dreaded "Check Engine" light (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4114-dreaded-check-engine-light.html)

mccarrm 10-31-2005 07:40 AM

The dreaded "Check Engine" light

I drove up the PCH this weekend starting from La Crescenta. Before starting, I decided it would be a good time to add a bottle of Techron.
I put 1 bottle to 12 gals of gas, as recommended.
After nearly depleteing the tank, I stopped and filled up. After one of our stops at a winery, the "Check Engine" light came on. I am not sure whether the above had anything to do with this, but its the only thing I've done recently.
Question: Is there anyway of accessing the problem code # and then get identifying it. :confused:

bmussatti 10-31-2005 08:21 AM

mccarrm, check to make sure your gas cap is properly tightened.

mccarrm 10-31-2005 09:30 AM

Thanks!
I did, and even after 100 miles it still remains ON.
A little more information:
It's a '98 with 50k miles.
The only upgrade is a cold air intake filter, which was installed about 500 miles ago.
I called Autozone, in the area, and they will let me use their reader (with a $170 deposit).
Once I get the number, I am sure I will have more information.
Thanks again,
Mike

bmussatti 10-31-2005 09:47 AM

mccarrm, yes the code(s) will be very beneficial. You can also check-out the PCA web-site's Tech Section, there are a lot of threads there for the CEL. They reference a lot of the code #'s too.

RandallNeighbour 10-31-2005 12:21 PM

That CEL can be a bunch of things... so a code reader will certainly help and it's not worth speculating on what it might be.

I tell you what though... the boxster's brain does NOT like intake mods (different filters, modified airboxes, cone filters, etc.) from all I read on this forum as well as renntech.

One thing you might try is disconnecting your battery for a half hour or so and see if the CEL light goes off. Some folks say this works.

xclusivecar 10-31-2005 01:28 PM

Does your cold air intake include an oiled filter (like a k&n)? These oiled filters seem to always screw up the MAF. Pull the codes and you'll be on your way to a fix!

Jeph 10-31-2005 04:18 PM

Jeph's Predictions

If it the CEL doesn't go away after the next day or 2 by itself, I predect the 02 sensor in bank 1.

There's no logic behind this speculation... I'm just writing this because I'm bored. Let me know if I'm right.

Paul B 10-31-2005 04:47 PM

If the CEL came on after filling the tank check to be sure the gas cap is replaced correctly. There is a switch that will trigger the CEL if something impedes the cap from going on perfectly.

Brucelee 10-31-2005 05:38 PM

These gas caps also go bad, more frequently than you would believe.

Try replacing it. Cheap.

bhduxbury 10-31-2005 09:52 PM

i was just at the intersection of honolulu and la crescenta today filling up at my nearest chevron station (i live in glendale just below montrose) -- so, howdy neighbor! and, importantly, good luck with the CEL -- hope it's no biggy!

bmussatti 11-03-2005 04:53 PM

mccarrm, did you get the codes pulled off yet?