Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #1

Exhaust Heat Shield RATTLE !!!

Let me start by saying...I have very little patience for things like this! I know that I should relax and not get so uptight about the little things in life.

I have removed 2 heat shields (off the mufflers) the correct way and ripped two others off the pipes between the CATS and the Muffler. I also unbolted the one that covers the rear of the transmission.

It hasn't changed the rattle that only occurs when the car is HOT and not in my driveway or in the garage or up on stands...so I haven't been able to find it. I'm almost questioning whether it is coming from inside the Muffler (stock) since I can't find anything else rattling when it's hot. Well, the stuff on my shelves rattles when I let loose with a storm of not so nice words when I burn the *&@#*&$ out of myself on something HOT looking for the annoying little rattle.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

sdkkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:25 PM   #2

What you are describing could very well be a baffle inside the actual muffler. Depending on the age of your exhaust, this could happen. Really, the only way to tell is take it to a good muffler shop and have them either physically remove and shake it or get professional advice.

By the way, if you do end up replacing the muffler, why not look into a B and B.
It is a great piece!

Best of luck,
Joe
01S
Triple Black
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
What you are describing could very well be a baffle inside the actual muffler. Depending on the age of your exhaust, this could happen. Really, the only way to tell is take it to a good muffler shop and have them either physically remove and shake it or get professional advice.

By the way, if you do end up replacing the muffler, why not look into a B and B.
It is a great piece!

Best of luck,
Joe
01S
Triple Black

Hi,

Agreed, or a broken Matrix in one of the Cats...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #4

Is there a way for me to tell without taking it to a muffler shop? I could pull everything apart but it only appears to make the noise when it is hot so how would I tell?

sdkkv is offline   Reply With Quote