Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 05:16 AM   #1

Signal Stalk Column

It seemed I broke something within the signal stalk. Happened when I was attempting to signal with the steering turned. Heard a snap. Next thing I knew, the right turn signal doesn't stay in place and the left turn doesn't return to its center position after the steering wheel straightens

Went to the dealership today & was quoted about $400 for the replacement! They apparently need to replace the entire assembly. Mine is a 3 stalk model with trip computer but no cruise control.

I'm gonna try and order this from US. Does anyone know the part number and whether they're the same worldwide. Mine's a RHD 2000 Boxster S. Signal and trip computer stalks are on the left. The US models are the same?

I've a strong feeling that they're ripping me off, just like quoting me $1,000 for a piece of 18" Carrera Lights.

clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:46 AM   #2

You know, my dealer here told me far more than $400 US for a 4 stalk unit replacement last year. That price isn't bad if they are replacing the part, not repairing it.

You can find them used on Ebay, but the one's I've seen have the cruise and wipers on the right and the turn signal and the computer stalk on the left (if it's a 4 stalk).
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
...You can find them used on Ebay, but the one's I've seen have the cruise and wipers on the right and the turn signal and the computer stalk on the left (if it's a 4 stalk).
This means that the stalks are probably the same worldwide. Hmmm... seems the price is fair apparently. I called up a dealership based in UK and it worked out to be about $400 as well.

Guess I'm kinda resigned to the fact of shelfing out probably $600 to get it replaced with labour. Damn! Just a teenie weenie broken piece and the entire assembly gotta be replaced

Am considering getting the 4 stalk unit and retro-fitting the cruise control. But the effort seems significant from the DIY threads I've been browsing...

Thanks for the response anyway

For the rest of you, avoid hitting the signal stalk when your steering wheel is not straight. That's how I broke mine...
Old 10-26-2005, 08:06 AM   #4

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problem. I have a spare 3-stalk unit which I bought as part of a large parts buy. It lacks the Trip computer stalk, but has the Cruise Stalk. The thing is, the Trip Computer Stalk and the Cruise Stalk just screw into the Turn Indicator/Wiper/Washer Stalks unit, so you could remove your Trip Stalk and install it on this unit. I would sell it for $200+S/H. I would mark it as Used Parts so you could avoid any Duty on it. Think it over and let me know, either by PM or offlist, I do have one inquiry for it already, but no firm committment. I have a PayPal acct. which might make pymnt. easier for you. Thanks...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

PS
If you buy this, I will include Step-by-Step Instructions on how to change the Stalk yourself, saving you the time and expense of having someone else do it. It is a very easy DIY procedure and would take you less than 30 minutes.

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-26-2005 at 08:11 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:57 PM   #5

It is called a steering column switch assembly. Same for LHD and RHD.

The 3 stalk version you have cost more than the 4 stalk, for some strange reason. So you buy the cheaper 4 stalk and cut off the cruise control stalk.

Or you do what Jim suggest and find someone with an old 3 stalk that was replaced with a 4 stalk during an OBC retrofit. You remove your OBC stalk and put it on the donor unit, and cut off the cruise control stalk. The stalk/switch for the cruise control stalk is riveted in place so you cannot remove it like the OBC stalk which is screwed in place.

If it were me I would get the 4 stalk and do the cruise control retrofit.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 10-26-2005 at 02:04 PM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
...If it were me I would get the 4 stalk and do the cruise control retrofit.
Yes, I'll probably go down that route. Did some enquires with the dealership today. The 3 stalk unit (trip computer) cost $400 but the 4 stalk unit (trip + cruise) cost $300. Like you said, don't know why Porsche prices their stuff this way. Probably economies of scale for the 4 stalk units.

The plus point is the 4 stalk units are in stock while I need to wai 2-3 weeks for the 3 stalk ones.

So the choice is clear I'll just ignore the cruise stalk until I find the time to do the retrofit myself.

Thanks for the help and info