Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 06:41 PM   #1

Autocross...Wow!

Went to my first PCA meeting this weekend and they had an autocross in the parking lot of the stadium. Wasn't planning on running since I have never done it before and quite frankly don't want the wear and tear. Anywho, got talked into running two laps and had a blast! The Boxster is a monster! I rode around the track in a couple 911s and they have nothing on the Box in the handling department. I went around the track in a GT2,C4S and a Turbo. I do think the Box has much better handling than those two cars, however HP is HP so they obviously were a little faster. Don't really plan on participating again, but I would suggest that everyone at least try it someday just to see the incredible handling that you don't get to see on the street. All I can say is WOW!

Cheers.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:12 PM   #2

Hi,

I regularly Auto-X mine and it's a great Car. I'm consistently in the fastest group, usually far outpacing the 911s in the Group.

It really all depends upon how the course is set up. If I go to the Corvette Club Auto-Xs, they set the course up to favor their HP advantage and it shows, fewer gates and more straights, same often w/ the 911 group.

But, when I go to Brit Club meets, they favor lots of gates and tight turning and the Boxster more than holds it's own.

Glad you had a great time, I suspect you'll feel the lure to do more...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:37 PM   #3

This is also a very cost effective way of getting high performance driving instruction for next to nothing. For a $40 event fee You'll learn the same basic principles from very fast drivers that you would attending a SKip Barber or Bondurant school without spending thousands of dollars.
and you don't have to show up and stomp on the brake pedal in hopes of setting the fastest time of the day, just drive 60% and you'll get to know your car very well. Things you would never do the open road can be practiced in a stadium parking lot. I've avoided a serious car accident not so long ago by having the confidence to lay into the brakes from 60mph.
The skills learned at Autocross/trakck events could save your life.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:31 AM   #4

Wear and Tear

I autocross and track my performance cars pretty extensively. I would point out that autocross isn't particularly hard on your car if you're not doing 5,000 rpm clutch drops out of the hole to get FTD (fast time of the day). Unlike track days, you aren't going to even stress the brakes on a Boxster. You may wear out tires a little prematurely if you are pushing street tires hard and, if you aren't careful, you may need to scrub off some plastic marks from plowing cones.

As mentioned, this is great way to learn car control and push your Boxster closer to it's limits than you ever should rightly do on the street.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:14 AM   #5

Also, have a look at your local kart tracks to see if they offer some kind of arrive and drive series you can participate in. You will learn an enormous amount about racing and controlling a car at the limits, and it's just about the most fun you can have anywhere. It has the added bonus of wheel to wheel cometition that you can't get from autocross.

Definately check it out if you have an opportunity to try it.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:22 AM   #6

My first track day in the Box was an eye opener. What a car! Following on the last post, even road track (DE) days can have a reasonable wear rate on brakes and engine if you drive at 80%. I use a gentler braking pattern than full racers (start SLIGHTLY earlier, ease in pad contact, then press HARD but smoothly). My times are good enough (given my overall approach) and brake/tire wear is acceptable.
But I get to drive at WAY over highway/road speeds for close to 2 hours per DE, sliding through corners and grinning ear to ear. Expect some tire wear, but with the Sumitomo's under $400 a set, I can handle it. Good clean fun!
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
Also, have a look at your local kart tracks to see if they offer some kind of arrive and drive series you can participate in. You will learn an enormous amount about racing and controlling a car at the limits, and it's just about the most fun you can have anywhere. It has the added bonus of wheel to wheel cometition that you can't get from autocross.

Definately check it out if you have an opportunity to try it.
Agreed! Karts are awesome!!

I treated my 13 year old son (who LOVES cars like hs dad) to a two day kart driver training school earlier this year. I was so impressed with the training on the track and in the classroom. I've been to a number of driver training schools and this school was top notch. It makes me feel so much better about how he will handle a car in a couple of years.

He turned out to be the fastest kid in the class and easily beat his bogey of bettering the required qualifying time of the adult super kart race series for this track.

Proud Dad smile...
Old 10-26-2005, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl AMG
He turned out to be the fastest kid in the class and easily beat his bogey of bettering the required qualifying time of the adult super kart race series for this track.

Proud Dad smile...
No fair - weight advantage
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
No fair - weight advantage
LOL...that's supposed to be my excuse as a 6'1 210lb guy.

Actually, at 140lbs he isn't far off some adults and the kids didn't drive the higher HP superkarts. They drove the "momentum" karts.

Last edited by Carl AMG; 10-26-2005 at 11:00 AM.