Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Did anyone have this problem?

I just picked up my Boxster 2 days ago and am still having trouble getting a complete feel for the clutch. Does anyone else think the clutch is sensitive? How long did it take for you to get a complete feel for the clutch? Was anyone else having trouble when they first picked theirs up?

blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
bmussatti

Getting use to a "new" (new to you) clutch always takes a little time. Have you drived stick before the Boxster?
Old 10-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
tmc

Have you driven German cars before? They clutch differently from US or Japanese cars. The best way I can describe it is "higher and tighter".
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:02 AM   #4

I agree with bmussatti. It takes a bit of time to get used to it. For some (like my wife) it can be mastered by the second "launch". For others (yours truly), the time frame can be measured in months and then only temporarily mastered since we forget over the winter and have to relearn it next driving season!

A friendly word of advice. Don't take the car downtown until you are very familiar with the clutch, otherwise, it can be a very humbling experience, believe me.

Now, go practice!
Biz-z Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 07:23 AM   #5

Because I don't drive my Box daily, I seem to kill the engine in 1st gear getting into my garage, which is up a small incline. Happens about once a month or so... and it only happens when I'm not thinking about what I'm doing.

This car doesn't seem to be one that is driven well on "driver auto pilot".

I always tell friends who drive my car (every time they drive it, not just the first time) that the engine will die if they don't give it a little more fuel on the takeoff than would be normally expected since they all learned to drive manual transmissions on rice burners.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:02 AM   #6

My '00 S clutch seemed nice and tight for a bit and suddenly became very sensitive and a bit spongy. A trip to the dealership revealed a TSB stating the clutch pedal assembly needed replacing. After this, the clutch was not nearly as sensitive and was nice and tight and maybe a bit "heavier" than before. Very easy to drive. Perfect feel and easy to modulate.

As an aside...drive a G35 6 speed. The clutch feels like a tightly wound spring is there to pop the clutch back up! I cannot drive that car without stalling every 3 stops! Infinity says that is the way the clutch should feel! I cant imagine that.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:36 AM   #7

Racing style clutch baby, yeahhh! It's quicker to grab than most clutches. It took us about a month to get used to it (coming from a Jeep Wrangler).
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #8

I'm really glad to see this string. I was beginning to think I was the only one having problems with getting used to the clutch.

I'm in my 5th decade of life and have had quite a few manual transmission cars. Granted they have NOT been "quality cars". Over the years I've had VW bugs, light trucks and a 850 Fiat Spyder (embarassed to mention that one).

I purchased my Boxster this Summer in downtown Chicago. It was a scary trip back to Michigan. I stalled the car several times....and that is a big deal on Mich Ave.

After several months of practice I am a lot better but not perfect. I have the same problem that Randall mentions. I do stall it occasionally.

For me the bottom line is this: I can't daydream...it seems that I have to concentrate or I will screw up..

Now have a 2006 Cayman S
Basalt Black/Stone Grey
TerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #9

I had the same problem myself when I purchased my '98 about 7 months ago, the clutch seemed sensitive and the release point seemed a tad "high".....I wasn't driving stick hardly at all for years, so it took some getting used to.....I occasionally dump it coming out of first, maybe once a month like Randall said....

Just takes getting used to really....

Lou

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:38 PM   #10

It took me about a month...I still have to concentrate a little more than my other cars.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:28 PM   #11

I previously got up on a soapbox about this one with those archived posts on clutch use and upshifting/downshifting. Rather than ramble on again I'd comment that if you're having trouble with the Boxster's "clutch", the root cause is incorrect modulation of the gas pedal during the clutch take-up.

If you lead with the heel/bottom, followed by the middle, then front/top of the foot you'll have better shifting then trying to press the gas peddle down leading with the front of the foot. (same goes with the clutch foot as I mentioned previously).

I'm also now very much a believer in the other individual's point (forget who in that thread) which suggested the ideal seating position in a Porsche is achieved when the right foot is able to push in the clutch pedal.

Interesting comment DeliriousGA. I drove a manual Wrangler for a couple years in College and I fondly recollect it as the easiest car to shift that I've ever driven.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:53 AM   #12

Perhaps the bottom hinged gas pedal is partly to blame?

I have to say that I kill the Box more often coming from a standing start than any other cars I've owned - cars that went from horrible (1987 Plymouth Duster) to absolutely perfect (Integra GSR). Not giving it enough gas is to blame, which surprises me since my last two cars - the Integra and an RSX Type S - are not known for being torquey cars.

BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote