Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2005, 03:49 AM   #1

Unhappy Alarm/passenger door/windows inop

Hi, just bought a 1998 boxter and have had a bit of bad luck. I closed the car with the key like always, and 4 -5 days later went to open and:
1. Drivers door unlocks, but passengers cannot be opened.
2. Electric windows do not work.
3. Inside lights do not work as usual when doors open.
4. While I'm driving around, the inside lock light stays lit, and can't be shut off.
4. The car starts perfectly, radio works, lights work, horn everything else is groovy.
The battery seems fine as I say, car starts without hesitation.

Now, I checked the fuses twice, and with a multimeter, and all are okay. Check diaghrams on the net, and there are not relays for the things that are out. I have no idea whats up. Can't use the car because one window isn't all the way up, and can't alarm it. Please, please help me.

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:15 AM   #2

This sounds very familiar to me. I bought a used boxster about 10 months ago. I had the following electrical problems:

- Windows wouldn't go down
- Power top wouldn't work
- Doors would not lock
- Alarm would not work
- Dome light would not always turn on, but sometimes did and stayed on

As with you, all of the 'major' things worked (starting, headlights, etc.) So basically not all of the exact same issues but enough that is most likely the same thing.

There is a computer that controls all of the electronics located directly underneath the driver’s seat. This controls all of the functions you have mentioned. There are also 4 drains in the front underneath the hood of the car that are designed to help water flow out of the car. These drains can get clogged and must be cleaned out (this should happen at service intervals, but you can do it yourself simply with your fingers for all major chunks). My drains got clogged with leaves over time because my used boxster had been sitting in a parking lot for 2 years. The annoying thing is if these drains get clogged water can leak under the seat, which of course, is where the said computer resides. Being a computer engineer I have the expert knowledge to know the following equation, Computer+Water = -$. Have this checked immediately, I could be wrong but it sounds so very familiar. Also, when this happened to me, they found the issue and I decided to wait a month before I fixed it. I drove home and the next day my car wouldn't start. I should have left it at the dealer. Oh well.

A quick and easy way to check this, is to pull the drivers seat forward and feel if there is any moister built up behind the seat or on the floor. I also needed to replace the entire draining system on my boxster. My total cost for this and replacing the computer was around 1200 bucks. Keep us posted and good luck.
natecooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:05 AM   #3

Thanks a lot for the response. I've posted this in other forums and it's the first reply I've had. The cars been in my garage since I bought it (except for a few short test trips) and it's not been wet. Not even washed since I bought it two weeks ago and it's covered to protect it from dust. I did take a look this morning to check to see if a harness connection could have worked loose or something on the control box under the seat. Mainly I did this because when I was snooping around the other day, I found that the previous owner left a bunch of cd's under the seat and I reached under and pulled them out. Just wanted to double check that I didn't disconnect anything when I did this. Everything looks alright. Now, I observed the problem after finding the cd's, but the car had sat about 4-5 days before I used it again and I don't know if it had anything to do with it. Like I said, everything seems to be connected and okay. Hope someone can help and I can start enjoying this darn thing.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:41 AM   #4

Fixed

:dance: The alarm itself has it's very own fuse on it's person, besides what's in the fusebox. I'm cool. Wonder why it blew?

Last edited by bigdog; 10-26-2005 at 09:42 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
cdnboxster

Im having similar problems
- both windows stuck up ( they were stuck down put if you put key in door look and either lock or unlock and hold for 10 yo 30 seconds they go up ;0)
- inside light not working
- door lock/unlock button not working
- roof is intermittent

computer under the seat is hi and dry, and all wires look in good shape.. any other thoughts?
cdnboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:45 AM   #6

Hey, sorry but I took it to a mechanic and all that I could get out of him was that it was a fuse located on/near the alarm itself. He changed it out and I never had another problem with it. Sorry again I couldn't be of more help.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #7

Garage
I'm interested in what CDs were left in the car...

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote