Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2005, 06:35 PM   #1

Stupid spoiler tricks...Be honest.

How many of you out there (and be honest) have hit 75 mph and have twisted around, contorted your body and propped yourself up in the seat while narrowly missing the guardrail just to see the spoiler come up? I did it today and lost my favorite hat on I-10. Was it worth it? I don't know yet. I'm not sure why I am fascinated by the spoiler...I am also fascinated by small shiny objects and circus midgets.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:13 PM   #2

ok, I admit it. I did it too the first week I had my car. There's no easy way to see this yourself in person any other way. But I didn't lose my hat because I took it off, set the cruise at 76 and THEN got up and held the steering wheel with my knee.

I should have my head examined. I can guarantee there's at least one ex-boxster driver out there who did this and crashed.

I guess you could let your spouse drive your car to 75 and drive behind, but somehow, I just can't see myself asking my wife to do this, nor do I think she would do it. 75 seems fast in the Boxster, although she routinely drives 80 in her Honda!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:24 AM   #3

Yes, I've had my Boxster for a month now and finally did it last weekend. I tried to do it quickly so I wouldn't have my eyes off the road in front of me for very long and ended up with a terrible kink in my neck. You're absolutely right dumb move.
porscheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:07 AM   #4

Yep, been there done that.

Do do it anymore as a driver. The few occasions my wife drives the S and I'm the passenger, I''ll take a look.

Mark.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Im sure I will check it out this evening when I pick up my boxster. Iv been waiting to buy it for a month,till i turned 18. I waited because the DMV says you have to 18 to own a car in your name,and since Im paying for it i had to wait. I drive out in a couple of hours to pick it up. 99' Zenith Blue
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:10 PM   #6

I used a small...

inspection mirror from my tool set when I first got my boxster. I was afraid to try to get up and turn at speed...

J. Tucker
99 silver
jtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #7

Funny you mentioned this. Last weekend my buddy following behind me in his
911 C4S commented on how cool the spoiler was to watch deploy. We were both going around 90 ish and he called me on the cell phone to let me know it was working! Whats more stupid... turning you head to see the spoiler deploy or talking on the phone at 90 mph..

Keep both hands on the wheel!

Joe
01S
Triple Black
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:43 PM   #8

I guess this is pretty much the dumbest thing you can do saftey wise....and I see I'm in pretty good company, too!
Biz-z Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:42 AM   #9

Thumbs down Not a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
How many of you out there (and be honest) have hit 75 mph and have twisted around, contorted your body and propped yourself up in the seat while narrowly missing the guardrail just to see the spoiler come up? I did it today and lost my favorite hat on I-10. Was it worth it? I don't know yet. I'm not sure why I am fascinated by the spoiler...I am also fascinated by small shiny objects and circus midgets.
Rail no more rotorcraft for you! You bad boy. Either tail another 986 and see it or next to a mirror truck.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:18 AM   #10

I had to see it once for myself. I thought flying Apaches helicopters would prepare me for the "Power on Spoiler Manuever", however it didn't. On a good note because I have seen the spoiler deploy, I am "Free at Last, Free at Last!" The old saying goes: There are those who have seen the spoiler and there at those that will.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 10-21-2005, 07:31 AM   #11

Hi,

I'm surprised that an Apache Driver didn't look for the feel of it. If the spoiler ever does fail to deploy, you'll know it for sure!

But, maybe being Fly-By-Wire, the Apache doesn't sharpen your Tactile feel for the Car. When I was punching holes through the air in F4s, A4s and F14s (all of which have direct linkages to the Control Surfaces), you developed a very good feel for the machine.

BTW, you do know that Rotary Wing Aircraft don't Fly, they merely beat the Air into Submission...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #12

Oh man, someone let the seaman loose! F4's and A4s? Wow, was Orville or Wilbur flight lead? Did you have any Pteradactyl strikes?

I did have a hard time leaving the Apache and going to a Dash 7. I don't like the controls being connected...I want the laser beams!

Your absolutely right about beating the air into submission. It is nuts flying a machine that is inherently unstable and does not want to fly! Cheers and GO ARMY BEAT NAVY!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 10-22-2005, 06:56 AM   #13

Yes, I admit I have done it myself.
The first time I could not see it as I did not get up high enough as I knew this to be a bad idear.
The second time no problem I saw it. Actualy not that hard for me just needed to raise out of the seat a bit and turn my head. Still held onto the wheel though.
So, no close calls, but not a bright move.

Richard

my89_928gt is offline   Reply With Quote