Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
bmussatti

Painted Air Intake Vents

Do you guys (and gals!) think the 987 air intake vents for the engine would look good painted the exterior color of the car? From pictures I have seen, the Cayman looks like it is painted this way.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2005, 03:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Do you guys (and gals!) think the 987 air intake vents for the engine would look good painted the exterior color of the car? From pictures I have seen, the Cayman looks like it is painted this way.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!
I can't decide yet. I like the contrast but I think I may prefer the vents in the body colour. I think I may have to do a quick photoshop job to see how it looks...
berj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
bmussatti

Berj, if you do a photoshop, please share the results with the forum. Thanks. A good way to see the impact, is to look at the car configuration on Porsche's web-site. The Cayman is clearly the exterior color, and looks great this way IMHO! That's what got me thinking about this potential customization.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:51 PM   #4

I say go for it. Definately added some visual appeal in that area on the 03/04 986 IMO.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:50 PM   #5

I hate to state the obvious, but the Cayman grills are vertical while the 987s are horizontal. I'm curious if this will be a switchable part between the two and also how the box would look with the Cayman grills. If they are switchable, I would imagine that will be a popular mod, soon. As for color, I vote for the OEM silver.

One thing I definitely like is the Cayman fog light/bumper treatment. I think that would look cool on the Box.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:13 AM   #6
bmussatti

SD987, interesting suggestion about the potential switchability. Maybe that would work too.

I got a paint quote from a highly recommended Paint Shop in Lake Bluff, Illinois, who does a lot of super high-end cars, including Porsche, for $75 per grill. Sounds fair. About 1 hour per grill (take out, prime, paint to match, clear coat, and re-install).
Old 10-18-2005, 04:24 AM   #7
bmussatti

One other comment here, I had a dealer offer to do that as a "No-Charge" option, if I purchased my car from him! I only mention this for potential new/used car buyers, as a potential negotiation tactic.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
tmc

Well for what it's worth, I personally think the contrast looks exceptionally good. I would not paint them body color. It also makes the 987 distinctive.

tmc
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:00 AM   #9

I have a set on order from bumperplugs.com. (No affiliation)

I will post pics pre and post install on my 2006 Guards red 987S

Last edited by Chris C Atlanta; 11-08-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Chris C Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:10 AM   #10
bmussatti

Chris C Atlanta, please clarify! What did you order from bumperplugs.com?? Did you order air intake vents for a Cayman? Please help me understand. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #11

The thread was about the grey intakes on the Boxster...I will receive my painted intake vents next week and take pics before and after I install them. I have a guards red car...and can't wait to get rid of the metal look vents

(It appears the Cayman vents are body colored already)
Old 10-22-2005, 07:32 PM   #12
bmussatti

Chris C Atlanta, I don't see the intakes on bumperplugs.com web site. How much are they? What year is your Boxster? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:47 AM   #13

You can find them in the Order section, 175 plus core exchange. My car is a 06 s.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:54 AM   #14
bmussatti

Taking out...and putting back in?

Chris C Atlanta, are they hard to take out, and put the newly painted ones in? Please post pictures ASAP! Can't wait to see your final results. THANKS!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #15
bmussatti

Chris C Atlanta- do you have any pictures of the painted air vents yet? Are you happy with bumperplugs quality? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #16

Hi,

I'm not a fan of the Body Colored Intake Vanes, I think the car will look too drab, it needs a little contrast IMHO...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:10 PM   #17
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I'm not a fan of the Body Colored Intake Vanes, I think the car will look too drab, it needs a little contrast IMHO...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Hey Jim, how are you doing! I respect you opinion, but, I just disagree. I think they look great as is, but, would look a little better the same color as the body, like the Cayman is set-up. But, that's just IMHO! I am a more monochromatic kinda guy.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #18

Will install them tomorrow and post pics. They are high quality, but it took a while to get them.

IMO they wll be a drastic improvement on my red car--I can't see keeping the gray ones. If my car was silver or grey maybe, but they're outta place on a red car. I like the monochrome look on the 986 and on the cayman.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #19
bmussatti

Chris C Atlanta, I talked to Eric (owner) at Bumperplugs, and he said that he is going to double the price of the painted vents. Very labor intensive to paint them right.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:37 AM   #20

I like the color matched idea. Go for it.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote