Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #1

2005 Ashtray Replacement

Just bought a new Guards Red 2005 Boxster, moving up from the Mazda Miata (MX5) - both are great cars but the Boxster is in a class of its own!

The car came with the standard removable ash-tray unit, in the console between the seats. Does anyone know if it is replacement with a non astryay unit - for general storage? It just seems to be a bit of wasted space, since I dont smoke (nor would I in such a car!!)

Thanks in advance!

vmpyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:43 PM   #2

Earlier model years had a "non-smoker" option that could either be selected at time of order (some years) or installed afterwards via the parts. Don't know about the 2005, but someone else likely will.

Here's to continued enjoyment of your ride!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:20 PM   #3

Yeah, and instead of utillizing the extra space it just plugs up the hole with a chunk of plastic. I think the kit could be much better.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:43 AM   #4

Are we thinking of different things? The option I refer to replaces the ash tray with a open bin (small but positioned for usefulness) and a plug instead of a lighter element. See http://www.986faq.com/4-0/default.asp#M580 .
Old 10-15-2005, 03:00 PM   #5

Yeah same thing, but in the current model, the entire centre has been changed, and is in a different position.

See attached pic - its on the side next to the gear stick. The hinged lid is integrated into the ashtray, so I could remove the ashtray and put some felt down in the hole, but I'd like to retain some lid of kinds.

vmpyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #6

Yeah, you are right Donv. I don't know what I saw before, but it definately wasn't that. Who sells that? Bumperplugs.com and eagleday.com? I think I might get that now that I see a good pic of it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:05 AM   #7

They are standard Porsche PNs, available from dealerships or through Suncoast, etc. I don't have the info handy, but a Google on "boxster non-smoker tray" or similar should get you to it (or someone else here can provide?). You have to be sure to order the right suffix to match the console finish of your vehicle.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:13 AM   #8

I just used a little screwdriver to pop out the cigarette entinguisher in the ashtray in my '05, and it makes a fine little coin tray, lighted and all.
whttkrasst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:56 AM   #9

Do be careful putting coins in your ashtray.

Spirited driving (or just having to slam on your brakes due to an idiot in front of you) may cause coins to be moved from the ashtray to inside the center console, and some have been found lodged in the shift linkage, keeping the driver from being able to shift into a particular gear fully.

I keep change in mine, and have not had any stray into the console as of yet, but did find some on the floor, thank goodness.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote