Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #1

question about lowering

Lowering the boxster any kind any kind of springs coilovers what ever. Does it do anything to ride i know it handle better but i mean stiffness more bounc bumper ride like my body not going to be all ova the place on the highway or sunday drives ?

porschematt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:25 PM   #2

duz txt msg gen hav no mo gram-punc-sp rulz w run-on sents ok?

Notwithstanding the cryptic style of the initial post, I may have deciphered the intended question. If so, I believe the correct answer is "Dude."
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:39 AM   #3

Talking

Please restate your question using proper sentence constuction. Then we can try to answer your inquiry.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschematt21
Lowering the boxster any kind any kind of springs coilovers what ever. Does it do anything to ride i know it handle better but i mean stiffness more bounc bumper ride like my body not going to be all ova the place on the highway or sunday drives ?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:38 AM   #4

Sorry guys I was bit in a hurry. Alirght lowering the boxster with any lowing kit of any kinda i know its handles better right . But with the stiffness ruines the car ? I dont wanna be bouncing up and down the hole ride to school or something or taken the highway and being all over the place cause the springs and shocks. So would a lowing kit be for me ? I mean what was the result with ur guys lowing kits
Old 10-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschematt21
Sorry guys I was bit in a hurry. Alirght lowering the boxster with any lowing kit of any kinda i know its handles better right . But with the stiffness ruines the car ? I dont wanna be bouncing up and down the hole ride to school or something or taken the highway and being all over the place cause the springs and shocks. So would a lowing kit be for me ? I mean what was the result with ur guys lowing kits
Hi,

First off, why do you need it lowered? What's your goal? Unless you're Tracking or Auto-Xing the car, any performance benefit won't be used in Day-to-Day over the very good Stock Porsche Suspension. It's actually quite good Stock. I Auto-X my '99 on OEM suspension and it works quite well. IMHO, I don't think any potential improvement by lowering and adding Shocks will be worth the Time/Expense. This may be different for a Honda, but we're talking about Porsche here.

Lowering a Car is, admittedly, another form of Automotive Jewelry to many, so if that's your goal, by all means proceed.

Lowering a Car properly can yield some benefit. The key word here is properly. A Car's suspension is a complex, integrated system - change one thing and you affect the others, some positively, some negatively. Just slapping on some Springs is usually the wrong way to go about it. The Shocks/Struts need be considered as well. Can they cope with the increase in Spring Rate? Especially an increase in Rebound as opposed to Damping? And, your alignment needs to be adjusted for the changes. Usually lowering affects the wheels' Caster and the Rear will usually require less Camber to prevent additional Understeer. Set the Car up to Factory Specs and you can end up with a worse performing Car, increased Twitchiness, Tire Wear - Do Your Research! Lowering a Car wrong is just a waste of Time and Money.

So far as Ride Quality, this is very subjective. But, in general, Lowering a Car will increase the Ride's Harshness. Whether it will be too much for your (or your Passenger's) taste, only you can judge. Good Luck!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #6

I was just wondering i know the boxster does not need lowering the handling is alreddy out of any car leaque . It just looks nice with rims and lower
Old 10-16-2005, 02:06 PM   #7

A set of 18s does the trick for me.

Handles like a dream.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote