Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2003, 07:43 PM   #1

new owner needs radio help!

I have just purchased a 01 Boxster S and do not yet have the owner's manual. I have the Porsche CR-220 stereo and it has what appears to be an equalizer at the bottom. I have figured out some of the radio controls using the quick facts manual, but it does not even mention the equalizer. Only the DSP button lights up, and none of the other buttons seem to work. On the right are 3 memory buttons and in the center are hifi, classic, echo, room, user, etc. Does anyone know how to get this panel working? Thanks!

Old 05-24-2003, 09:40 PM   #2

The Becker site under what's new has the radio manual, but I do not think the DSP unit is included in the radio manual, but is in the owners manual. http://www.beckerautosound.com/

I have a 1997 with a CDR-210 and DSP was not an option that year. I do have a 2001 owners manual, and it says just to push the DSP button to turn it on. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 11:40 AM   #3

Thanks for this info. My DSP button is lit, which should mean it is on, but none of the other buttons seem to function.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:36 PM   #4

DSP button

I discovered last night that the light on the DSP button comes on with the headlights, not as as ON indicator. I don't believe the unit is getting power, although all the fuses assigned to the stereo are ok. The stereo sounds decent without it, but would be much more tunable with the DSP unit working. No telling when I will recieve my owner's manual, and the dealer is 2 hours away.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:08 AM   #5

I finally got to the dealer with my faulty DSP and he swapped the unit out for a new one under warranty. The results are disappointing, as the unit adds little to the overall sound quality. I haven't listened to the Bose system, but the DSP was the top of the line option in '01 and it leaves a lot to be desired, especially in top down mode.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
JNC

Angry Porsche CR-220 stereo

I have a Porsche CR-220 stereo in my '99 Boxster and have considered replacing it and the speakers with better quality sounding system. I'd prefer to remain 'stock' but the Bose system that fits Boxsters are super expensive, and I've read reviews that it's not what you think you may be getting quality / bass-wise. Now my Porsche CR-220 stereo light panel is blinking on and off..closer to replacing system...any suggestions?

Thanks Guys!
JNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #7

Dump the becker, go Alpine up scale. Add speaker behind your ears.

Go for it!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #8

I did EXACTLY what BruceLee suggests and I'm a very happy camper.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #9

Hi,

I have a $2800+ Stereo in my Esprit - 8 Focal Speakers and a Matched Nakamichi Head Unit/CD Changer/ 4-Channel 400W Amp - Carnegie F*ckin Hall!!

But, in my Boxster, the Top is down 99.9 % of the time. So, I have the OEM Becker CD220 and CD3 Changer w/ OEM speakers and OEM Rear Speaker Add-on and it's great!!

Going High-End on a Convertible is just a waste of Time and Money - mostly Placebic effect. 'Course, I can't brag to my friends about it, and to some that's worth the expense alone...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #10
JNC

Smile

You make a good point about convertibles & sound quality, MN. Still curious of upgrades possible that fit Boxster with no modifications, although I'm not prepared to pay more than $2000.

Bruce, Randal, I'm going to check out Alpine website for head and amp units. Any suggestions on speakers, better than stock Boxster dash & door speakers that will fit Boxster w/o modifications?

JNC is offline   Reply With Quote