Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #1

Help w/ horn!

The other night my car was parked outside and the horn just started blaring. I do not have the keyless entry or security system that I am aware of. It went off for about 15minutes then stopped. Now the horn is not working at all. I checked the fuse and its fine. The tiptronic controlsl works perfectly. The last couple weeks the horn did seem to be a little sensitive to the touch. Anyone have this trouble or ideas? I had considered swapping the steering wheel to the 3-spoke style and having the 4-stalk option added but am trying to save up to do so.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:54 PM   #2

The twin horns for the steering wheel are behind the front bumper cover, passenger side. The horn for the alarm system is next to the battery, drivers side. If you do not have the alarm option then you do not have a horn for the alarm.

Older cars with 4 spoke wheels do have an issue.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1728
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:50 PM   #3

I have seen several people on different forums with the same problem and it turned out to be the horn relay. It's a cheap relay, about $15 at the dealer. You can swap it with another one and see if it works before you go get one, but make sure you swap it with a non-essential relay and not the ABS, etc.

There's a relay chart at http://www.theschillings.com/boxrelay.htm to help you find the horn relay.

Hope that's all it is!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:32 PM   #4

thanks guys i didnt think to check relays. it just seemed really odd that the horn just started going off like that. i'll let u guys know tommorow when i check relays.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:40 AM   #5

This is a common problem with early boxsters. The bushings in the horn are worn out and it is engaged all the time. There is a diy fix discussed over at renntech.
It worked for me. Make sure you have the radio code before you disconnect the battery. Here is the link.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1728&hl=horn

robgannon is offline   Reply With Quote