Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
i am now a "waiter." booyeah!

i have lurked here for about a year, with only a few posts and an '01 330i as my ride.

now i am officially a "waiter."

here's the deal: base '06 987, seal grey/sand beige/black top. bose w/stop, xenons, heated seats, sport wheel, sport seats, chrome pipe, auto climate.

november build slot.

est. delivery: jan '06

i got 8% off msrp (including delivery). i used the method detailed in other threads here. i emailed about 15 dealers within 250 miles with a firm offer to put a deposit down immediately to the first dealer who accepted it. four dealers accepted my offer without negotiation. i suppose i could have played them against one another for a few more bucks, but i stayed true to my word and signed up with the first responder, who was conveniently the closest, 25 miles from home.

i am excited, to say the least.

i just want to take a minute to thank all the contributors of this board. i want to go beyond just the fact that you have helped me in this process from options to strategy, and mention how you have made me a more savvy car owner generally. i have always been comfortable changing my own oil but have left the rest to the dealer (and now, out of warranty, my indy bmw mechanic). but my 330i was about to come up for its 60k a month ago. the example and instructions of y'all taking care of your own cars led me to do the 60k myself. you are reading the words of a person who for the first time successfully flushed his brake and clutch fluid, changed his brake pads, painted his calipers, changed the cabin and intake air filters, replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs, flushed the differential fluid, flushed his coolant (ran on 100% distilled for a week then 50/50), and, of course, changed the oil and filter (and reset the service indicator). at 75k i plan to do the belts and water pump myself, too. oh yeah, you also turned me on to the clay bar/eight-layers-of-klasse thing, too. nice! this site and its members have greatly inspired this bmw owner and boxster waiter over the past year. thanks to all!

of course, i will post pix of my box for y'all in january.

brett

Last edited by bhduxbury; 09-29-2005 at 01:55 PM.
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
bmussatti

Congrats, Duxbury. I agree with you, this is a very informative group.

I am a waiter too....my 987S will arrive in March/April. Oouch, that's a longggg wait.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
bmussatti

One more thing Duxbury...the stone grey top looks very good with the Seal Grey exterior IMHO. You may want to reconsider vs. the balck top.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:49 PM   #4

Seal Grey and Beige interior awesome cobination.
almost as good as Arctic Silver and Boxster Red!

Metropol Blue tops are nice too.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:53 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
re: top color, to my highly subjective eye, blue is just too "cute" and a bit of an arresting contrast to seal, when the contrast i want noticed to the seal is the beige interior. yes, black is a contrast, but an expected one, not so arresting; standard, if not classic. as for grey, it is just too light for my taste for a top, and, while not arresting, that lightness itself would detract from the beige contrast with seal. of course, i am just trying to put into words what are completely subjective opinions of my own, and i must admit that the game of balancing the 3 color choices was the hardest part of my option process. in the end, i am a muted blue/grey guy, so seal it was for the body; the darker interiors were too "stuffy" for me on an already muted color, so i took beige -- i just love the contrast and think it makes the seal car look "open" and "fun." and, finally, the black top did least to "get in the way" of the other two choices.

it's funny how having to write about something really makes you think about it. anyways, those were some of the "reasons" behind my choices. i'm sure there's others i can't express. but i appreciate the prodding!
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:46 AM   #6
bmussatti

Duxbury:

I totally agree with everything you have stated. The option choices are endless, expensive, and require a lot of time and effort to sort out.

I have visited many-many dealers to see certain "builds" to help me with my decision process, and this extra effort has really paid off for me. I am not good with picking something from a brochure or photo. I need to see it in person, and really experience it...touch it...feel it...hear it.

The process is a very personal choice.

I have seen the cocoa top on Seal Grey...and this looks great too!

My departing reccomendation is to use Porsche's web-site. Go to "Locate Dealer" and you can view all of the many dealers new inventory, and look for specific "builds" that you have interest in. Then, if they are near your home, work or future travel, stop in and take a look!

BTW- your interior choice of Sand Beige is a great color IMHO.

Congrats, again!
Old 09-30-2005, 04:06 PM   #7

Congratulations! and Nice job doing all that DIY stuff - see it isn't so hard.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote