Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2003, 04:43 AM   #1
Forum Member

Angry Dimple in Rear Window

I somehow ended up with a small "dimple" or wrinkle in the rear window. Anyone know how to get rid of it of and stop it from happening again in the future? Thanks ahead of time for your replies.

dionnec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:17 AM   #2
Forum Contributor

I have the same effect. The "wrinkle disapears more or less after some days with closed roof. Depending on the temperature the effect is more drastic (the colder the worse)...
I have no clue how to avoid
mx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:29 AM   #3

I had the same trouble, actually I havent met a Boxster owner yet who hasnt encountered the same trouble, unless you have a 2003 or newer where Porsche decided to add the glass rear window, due to many problem with the plastic rear window.

There is a way you can prevent further damage though, which for me has been very effective in preventing it from becoming worse.

When your top is half way down, push the dimple in to straighten out the window and put a soft towel in the area where ther window folds over itself, and continue to put the top down as usual.
Having a soft towel in the window while down will prevent the window from rubbing against itself and beoming scuffed up, also will help preserve its shape(no dimple) and look.

Hope this helps some.
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:59 AM   #4
Forum Contributor

Thanks for the hint.
But who opens the roof half way gets out of the car to put the towel or cloth in and gets back into the car ?
Must be funny to watch that scene... (while the Boxster stops at a traffic light )
No kidding away, that might work in CA where you open the roof once a year (spring) and you close it once a year (winter). Here in Europe - especially in Switzerland - you open the roof several times a day...

Markus
Old 05-26-2003, 06:01 AM   #5
Forum Contributor

Hi JF,

don't take me wrong... I realy apretiate your feedback ! (<- this is NOT ironic!!)

Markus
Old 05-26-2003, 03:46 PM   #6

I do the chop on my 1997, still with the original top. Jeff

I cannot figure out how to put pictures on this board and there is no preview.

http://forum.boxa.net/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=1803&s=
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:17 AM   #7

Actually I live in Virginia, and I am always putting the top up and down anyway. But I normall just put my top down while in my driveway and that gives me the time to put a towel in between. But if for some reason dont put my top down until I am already out an about I will just put it down as usual, dimple and all. The design with our clear plastic rear windows really stinks, because other then some basic remedies which you can do, as described in this thread, there isnt much alse you can do to protect your rear wondow(that I know of).

jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote