Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #1

Key Rotation

Hello new member and new owner of a 2003 Boxster S. I have been lurking the forums and also searching for a solution to my strange problem. I tried to start my car and the key spun 360 degrees several times. I read threads about the ignition switch but those who had problems with the key not moving or coming out. The steering wheel even locked when I was pushing the car off the main road. Luckily I was able to get the power on and was near a hill to pop start the Boxtser and make it home.

Any clues to what it might be? After I got home and garaged it I tried starting it again and it worked twice.

Side note I had an indy replace the IMS with the LN kit replace water pump and RMS. I notice now I and dripping oil but no white smoke at startup but I do smell oil burning when I park after driving. Checked oil and I seem to be losing oil also. I didn't have this problem before it went to shop. On the sheet they stated they used Leichtlauf ht 5w can I put Mobil 1 5w in so I can fill and take back to shop?

Otherwise I love the car, so much fun while even going for the shortest of drives.

sixpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #2

Garage
Sounds like the ignition key mechanism is starting to fail... and before you get stranded you might just want to get a new one...
The INDY shop you went to must have screwed something up if it leaks now and didnt before... I'd be going back and if its a decent shop they should fix it for nothing... hey mistakes can happen... hopefully they'll be honest enough to admit it, if they screwed up.
Can you see where the oil is coming from (if the level is going down it must be leaking a lot).
If there's too much oil, use some BrakeCleaner and wash off the oil soaked area and see if you can find where it's leaking once the area is clean. Hopefully its not coming out between the tranny and the motor...
BTW the Leichtlauf is a LiquiMoly oil (Good stuff) - Thats what I use... that or Fuchs

Last edited by Heiko; 11-11-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. What part is the ignition key mechanism? I only see parts for the ignition switch itself and the Ignition Lock Housing?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #4

Garage
If its the key cylinder is an item that porsche will need to key/code for you... not near my PET system right now - but i can look up the part# for the cylinder later

Last edited by Heiko; 11-11-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #5

Garage
If your key cylinder still works you should be good..... and you have two options....
1.) If you have the 'stock' non upgraded ignition assembly then you need the replacement switch for the back of that unit which is part 4A0905849B (Audi part number - order at VW for about $25)
2.) Or you can upgrade the entire ignition assembly to the new and improved version one which is part 99634701707 but thats expensive.
Either option you can use the same key cylinder (which is good because rekeying would be expensive.

H
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #6

Thanks a bunch. Like i said they key rotated 360 degrees well actually I spun it left and right several times. I was trying to unlock steering wheel. How can I tell if the key cylinder works?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #7

The last time my ignition switch went bad it did the same thing as yours. It is the electrical part of the switch #4A0905849B.
It went bad on me while I was visiting a friend. I was able to get the ignition to come on by turning the key slowly until all the instruments came on and push start the car. When I got home, and tried to start the car, it worked OK part of the time, but still occasionally spun around 360º with no resistance. Changing the part fixed everything.

edit: Get the part from the VW/Audi dealer, or from a internet parts supplier. If you go to the stealership, they will try to sell you a whole new updated key assembly. They don't work any better than the old stlye ones. There have been posts on the forum with owners experiencing failures with them also. For the amount of money they want for it, you can get enough spares to last longer than you will ever need. Once you have changed one out, the next time is a piece of cake to do. Buy two, I always keep a spare in the car now, with the small screw driver that you need to take it out with. Never know when it will fail again and having a spare in the car is cheap insurance against getting stranded away from home. I am on my third switch.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 11-11-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #8

Garage
As Spinnaker said... It's most likely the electrical part at the end which controls the circuits and key stops. The key cylinder is fine as long as the key still comes out and goes in ok. If it starts to stick or becomes rough then i would replace it. Just go to a local VW shop to order that 4A0905849B part as otherwise you'll pay double the money at Porsche for the same part :-) and you will be back in business :-)
Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #9

Thanks guys. I will order the part at Volkswagen and give it a shot.