Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 10:59 PM   #1

Question Spoiler doesn't retract!

I just bought a 1997 Boxster for about 2 weeks. I found out my spoiler never works automatically or manually. The rocker switch doesn't seem to work. Is it a fuse or wire problem? How can I check the fuse and wire? Is it a common problem for Boxster? The Spoiler Warning Light is on when I start the car, but it turns off once the car move. The Manual says that is normal. Is that true? Thanks.

97Boxsterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:49 AM   #2

The light thing is normal at start up. Check the fuse first. It is located behind the panel that is around the rocker switch for the spoiler. There should be a folded paper in the cover with the fuse diagram.

If the fuse is ok, check the relay to make sure it hasn't fritzed. On the 2000 MY, it is relay #9 in the rear trunk. The relay panel is behind the trunk sidewall cover on the left (driver's) side. It has a zip strip holding it in place so you will need to clip that off to get the panel to slide out. The best thing to do is find someone locally who has a Boxster and swap relays with them to see if it works, then go to the local dealer and get the relay if that was the problem. The relay part number for the 2000 MY spoiler retraction is 996 615 102 00 (YMMV).

Btw, disconnect the battery before replacing the fuse. It won't hurt you, but a quick short can kill the on board computer. Also, make sure you have your radio code before you disconnect the battery. If you don't have it, most dealers will look it up for you at no cost. You just have to take the car in so they can get the serial number and proof of ownership.

Good luck!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #3

The spoiler light on my 97 stays on after I start the car for 90 seconds or so. Yup, that's normal.

You should be able to manually raise and lower your spoiler by turning the key to the on position, and pressing the top part of the button and holding it for 15 seconds or so. Press the lower part of the button and hold it to retract it.

The switch must be held down for it to work... it's not a "click it once and it goes up" kind of switch.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 09-28-2005 at 06:00 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:36 AM   #4

Hi,

How do you know your spoiler isn't working? You do know that it cannot be seen from the Driver's Seat right? Follow deliriousga (John's) advice and check fuses and relay.

The Spoiler is supposed to extend Automatically at 75MPH and retract at 50MPH.

In order for this, and other speed dependent accessories, to function, such as the Speedo, the Top (on the later cars), and the TipS (on Cars so equipped), the car relies on Speed Sensing devices.

Each time you start the Car, these Speed Sensors recalibrate themselves to insure that all Speed Dependent Devices function at their designed speed. This is accomplished by driving the Car at least 3MPH.

Until this speed is reached, the ECU automatically declares a Fault (because the ECU (DME in Porsche Parlence) is reading '0'MPH or no speed from the Speed Sensors. This could actually be '0'MPH or, the Speed Sensors may have failed, it doesn't know which), this is why the Warning Indicator for the Spoiler activates. It will stay lit until the car reaches the required 3MPH (at which speed, the ECU is satisfied that the Speed Sensors are functioning properly and cancels the Fault). In addition, it will light if: a.) The Spoiler fails to extend at approx. 75MPH (or doesn't extend fully), and b.) If the Spoiler fails to retract at approx. 50MPH.

One other possibility I have thought of. Many Owners will install a Fixed Wing as an Aftermarket Accessory. In this case, the Spoiler mechanism must be deactivated. I have seen at least one set of instructions with these Wings which direct the installer to disconnect the Spoiler's electrical connector from the wiring harness (this is located under the Trunk Liner on the rear wall of the Trunk). Why this doesn't activate the Dash Warning Indicator I don't know - never gave it ay thought.

If your PO had such a wing installed, and then removed it prior to sale to sell it separately (on eBay for instance), which I have seen, it is possible that they failed to reattach this connector, so be sure to check this if all other checks result in no-joy. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
...The switch must be held down for it to work... it's not a "click it once and it goes up" kind of switch...Hope this helps!
Hi,

At least on mine, the switch must be pressed and held until the Spoiler fully extends, but I only have to press and release the switch to lower it, and it lowers itself until it is fully retracted. FYI...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 09-28-2005, 11:56 PM   #6

Talking

Thank you for all valuable responses My spoiler works now!! It was the rocker switch wire problem. I opened the panel and the wire was loose. Thank you guys all!!!
97Boxsterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:54 AM   #7

I was going to suggest laying off on the Viagara! Oh man, I crack myself up.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #8
bmussatti

Hay Rail26, I think you are just trying to boost your posting score numbers!
Old 09-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #9

Someday I might have something to contribute! Not sure when, but it may happen...I figure if I post enough I might run across something profound...kind of like the story of the 100 monkeys randomly typing on typewriters and if they type long enough they might produce a broadway play?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 09-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Someday I might have something to contribute! Not sure when, but it may happen...I figure if I post enough I might run across something profound...kind of like the story of the 100 monkeys randomly typing on typewriters and if they type long enough they might produce a broadway play?

I think my wife and in-laws took me one night to that play!
Old 09-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #11

I think some of my co-workers starred in that play.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Last edited by Rail26; 09-30-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
T

Btw, disconnect the battery before replacing the fuse. It won't hurt you, but a quick short can kill the on board computer. Also, make sure you have your radio code before you disconnect the battery. If you don't have it, most dealers will look it up for you at no cost. You just have to take the car in so they can get the serial number and proof of ownership.

Good luck!
Sorry to highjack the thread, but what is this I hear about a radio code? Is the radio inoperable after disconnecting the battery without it? Is is in the owners manual?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Sorry to highjack the thread, but what is this I hear about a radio code? Is the radio inoperable after disconnecting the battery without it? Is is in the owners manual?
Hi,

The Radio requires a 4-digit code to enable it. This code is an anti-theft device. If the Radio is stolen, it is inoperative without first inputting the code. Whenever power to the Radio is interupted, such as when disconnecting the Battery, the Radio will not play until it's unique code is re-inserted. The Code is printed on a card as part of the Owners Manual pkg. (in the Stereo Operation Booklet).

There are some grayware programs which can determine the code if you have the serial number of the Radio, which you can get by switching through the program mode. Without this, only the Dealer can retrieve the code using their Porsche Software. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 09-30-2005, 06:16 PM   #14

Thank you sir. I've been reading some of your posts and your knowledge of our cars amazes me. Keep visiting our little forum. Toolpants and you should have a trivia showdown
Old 09-30-2005, 06:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

At least on mine, the switch must be pressed and held until the Spoiler fully extends, but I only have to press and release the switch to lower it, and it lowers itself until it is fully retracted. FYI...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

This is strange because my car is the exact opposite.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:32 PM   #16

Adam, I second your sentiments. I learn so much here!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
This is strange because my car is the exact opposite.
HI,

That is weird. Maybe one of our cars has the switch wired backwards. I added the Dash Mounted Spoiler Switch Hack, but wired it according to the Directions. Next time I'm foolin' around in that neck of the woods, I'm gonna swap the leads and see what happens. It makes more sense to me that the switch should deploy the spoiler One Touch than retract it.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 10-03-2005, 05:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
The spoiler light on my 97 stays on after I start the car for 90 seconds or so. Yup, that's normal.
Actually, I find that if you put the car in 1st and drive forward, the light will go off.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqtran
Actually, I find that if you put the car in 1st and drive forward, the light will go off.
Forward or backward will work. I believe it only has to hit the 1mph mark and the speedo works forward and backward. So much for the Bueller trick.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Forward or backward will work. I believe it only has to hit the 1mph mark and the speedo works forward and backward. So much for the Bueller trick.

Hi,

Yep, but according to the Owners Manual, the car must hit 3MPH - 6MPH. In my car, it's almost exactly 3MPH.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99