986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Windstop (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/3799-windstop.html)

bmussatti 09-27-2005 01:12 PM

Windstop

What is the best way to keep the windstop window clean and clear?

RandallNeighbour 09-27-2005 01:24 PM

I install it, then wipe it both sides with windex which I've sprayed on a microfiber towel. The windex does not seem to scratch the lexan and works well. Mine shows ever little fingerprint though. Grrr.

SD987 09-27-2005 01:27 PM

....um..don't touch it with your oily hands?

Aside from that I've found normal auto glass/cleaner and a soft towel to work well for a long period of time. The windstop also scratches easier than auto-glass would so be careful. I try not to use anything too strong as it might remove the 'PORSCHE' lettering I've attached to mine, which incidentally is a very nice look (IMHO).

blinkwatt 09-27-2005 01:42 PM

Where did you get the Porsche letting from?

deliriousga 09-27-2005 01:43 PM

Careful with the Windex.

Ammonia will turn the plexiglass yellow over time (ask me how I know this :rolleyes: ). You should use a plastic cleaner like Plexus or the cleaner you would use for your rear plastic window and try not to touch it after eating pizza in the Boxster. :eek:

SD987 09-27-2005 01:48 PM

blinkwatt:

From eBay, I can highly recommend this rjcalnan seller (no affiliation).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-Windstop-Decal-Boxster-987-986-Stickers-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQitemZ45773100 49QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I went with the bright silver color, looks great with the midnight blue. He also sends you two decals in case you screw one up, which of course I did.

gRed04 09-27-2005 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
blinkwatt:

From eBay, I can highly recommend this rjcalnan seller (no affiliation).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-Windstop-Decal-Boxster-987-986-Stickers-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQitemZ45773100 49QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I went with the bright silver color, looks great with the midnight blue. He also sends you two decals in case you screw one up, which of course I did.

Same here. I have nothing but good to say about that guy as well.

Rail26 09-27-2005 08:57 PM

My windstop looks like crap...I use windex and a micro fiber on it and I still see tons of stuff on it. It looks like I wipped it with crisco. I also have the same problems on my windshield. Any suggestions? I think it might be from all the oil spewing Mexican cars driving around here. I have even used soap and water to no avail.

MNBoxster 09-27-2005 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail26
My windstop looks like crap...I use windex and a micro fiber on it and I still see tons of stuff on it. It looks like I wipped it with crisco. I also have the same problems on my windshield. Any suggestions? I think it might be from all the oil spewing Mexican cars driving around here. I have even used soap and water to no avail.

Hi,

I use a microfibre towel and Denatured Alcohol. Cleans grease and doesn't streak.

Also, at $4/qt. it's cheaper than many dedicated cleaners which don't outperform it. Get it at any Paint or Hardware Store.

PS - It also makes a great Charcoal Lighter, no nasty kerosene taste - just be sure to stand back when you light it!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Adam 09-27-2005 09:47 PM

Windex is not meant to be used on plastic as mentioned earlier so I use detailing spray from Maguires with much success. No streaks and clear as could be.

Killertraylor 09-28-2005 09:32 AM

I use the Invisible Glass spray in the can that I use on my other windows and it works just fine. I usually use newspaper to clean the windows, but if I don't have some handy, I'll use a microfiber towel that has been washed a few times to get rid of the lint.

bmussatti 09-28-2005 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I use a microfibre towel and Denatured Alcohol. Cleans grease and doesn't streak.

Also, at $4/qt. it's cheaper than many dedicated cleaners which don't outperform it. Get it at any Paint or Hardware Store.

PS - It also makes a great Charcoal Lighter, no nasty kerosene taste - just be sure to stand back when you light it!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Hey Jim:

Interesting advice about the charcoal lighting benefit....I have to ask...do you have any eyebrows left!

MNBoxster 09-28-2005 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hey Jim:

Interesting advice about the charcoal lighting benefit....I have to ask...do you have any eyebrows left!

Hi,

Like I said..."just be sure to stand back when you light it!" :D

bmussatti 09-28-2005 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Like I said..."just be sure to stand back when you light it!" :D

I'll take that as a "no"!