986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How low can you go topless (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37935-how-low-can-you-go-topless.html)

opus69 11-04-2012 05:32 AM

How low can you go topless

If it's not raining I like to go top down. My question is what would be the lowest temperature to go topless. I learned the hard way that plastic windows don't do well below 60 degrees F. Now than I have glass I would like to know what is the limit for the canvas itself.

MN 986 11-04-2012 04:06 PM

I also learned the hard way about cold temps and plastic rear windows a few years ago, but since then I retrofitted a 2004 OEM top with glass window to my 2002 Boxster and I have gone top down into the upper 30s more than a few times. Had the top down yesterday when it was sunny and 45. Hey, I live in Minnesota, so I have to ejoy any driving time I get before the snow flies!

keysguy 11-04-2012 04:25 PM

all year long..in fact winter time is the only time I drop the top in daylight hours. It's way to hot to sit in the subtropical sun in the summer with the top down. I do drop the top in the evenings or at night during the summer

Deserion 11-04-2012 07:52 PM

I've had it down when the temp. was below 32. At night. People looked at me as if I was insane. :D

Flavor 987S 11-05-2012 06:57 AM

Check you Owner's Manual. Even with the glass window, it MIGHT say something about the proper temp, or running the heat, before moving the top in "cold" weather. I don't remember.

In my 987, with the top down, heater cranked, windstop, heated seats, sweatshirt, windbreaker, and a knit Chicago Bears hat on, I've done thousands of miles in the high 30's and low 40's. Sunny days. No rain.

About the only spot that gets cold, in the back of my neck. A rolled up towel is the trick for that chill.

jcb986 11-05-2012 11:21 AM

In my younger days, my wife and I would go topless in 30 degree weather. Windows up and heater on high, it was great. Had a 68' Corvette, Blue on Blue.:cheers:

MikeinLA 11-05-2012 10:48 PM

Unless it's raining, I always have the top down, but here in L.A. it doesn't often get into the 30s (and it almost never rains:)). I have this cheap suede baseball jacket with a quilted lining that is an absolute WALL against the wind and it has a nice soft collar. I keep it in the front boot and it works wonders. That and a baseball cap and I'm good.

Mike

ProjectM96 11-06-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opus69 (Post 311628)
If it's not raining I like to go top down. My question is what would be the lowest temperature to go topless. I learned the hard way that plastic windows don't do well below 60 degrees F. Now than I have glass I would like to know what is the limit for the canvas itself.

My top cracked in 70 degrees. I don't put it down unless the sun was shining on it for a while, heating it up. 80 degrees+.

So in the 2 years I owned it living in PA mountains, I might have put the top down 10 times total.

WhipE350 11-06-2012 02:01 PM

I find here in NC it is more pleasent to go with it down when it is a little too cold then really hot as the summers always are here. In the summer mornings and nites or when you finally reach the high country it is pleasent. In the winter...well if the sun is out can go pretty low. I keep a ski cap in the pocket behind the seat, have heated seats, and can blast the heat too. A nice sunny midday 40s Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb temp is wonderful to drive in. Hey if I'm playing golf year round...then a midday ride in the old Box is doable too. I really don't enjoy the 2000 'S' with the top up anyway so the top really needs to be down. On the 2007 I don't mind the top up at times.

d18mike 11-07-2012 05:36 AM

70 is my cut off here in Michigan.

Below that I feel like the automotive equivalent of the morbidly obese guy who wears shorts into Wal-Mart in February when its 8 degrees. Not a look I care to cultivate, personally. But everyone has a different threshold.

WhipE350 11-07-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d18mike (Post 311863)
70 is my cut off here in Michigan.

Below that I feel like the automotive equivalent of the morbidly obese guy who wears shorts into Wal-Mart in February when its 8 degrees. Not a look I care to cultivate, personally. But everyone has a different threshold.

Doesn't this give you only about 50 total days to drive your car in Michigan :cheers:

l3m 11-07-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipE350 (Post 311935)
Doesn't this give you only about 50 total days to drive your car in Michigan :cheers:

Maybe the case in the Upper Peninsula but in lower Michigan, it can get past 70F in May through part of Oct. When I lived there, I rarely saw a Porsche with the top down.

schnellman 11-08-2012 04:18 AM

I thought the question had to do with lowering the top safely with a plastic rear window. My owner's manual says don't do it below zero degrees Celcius.

opus69 11-08-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnellman (Post 311956)
I thought the question had to do with lowering the top safely with a plastic rear window. My owner's manual says don't do it below zero degrees Celcius.

I found out the hard way not to lower a plastic window when it's lower than 60 degrees. Now that it is replaced with glass I wanted to know what the canvas will tolerate. As long as it is not raining or lower than the 30's I like having the top down.

rick3000 11-08-2012 11:35 PM

70° F has always seemed to be the consensus for the lowest temperature for putting the top up and down. Occasionally, I take the hardtop off in the winter and go for a topless run through the mountains in 30° weather which is always fun!

kk2002s 11-09-2012 04:22 AM

Boy I hope the recommended 0 C in the manual is more accurate. Since this is my first winter I'm kinda hoping to do some 45 - 50 F top down driving when those rare days happen. I have been getting in the habit of starting the top down about 25% then help with my hand to get the Plastic window to fold/crease neatly instead of allowing it to bunch up in several directions. Then put it down the rest of the way. I notice that when I put the top up there are no crease lines in the plastic. I have driven 70 miles on the Turnpike in 55 F, top down, and that was enjoyable

CoBeerToad 11-09-2012 09:26 AM

My rule is 50 F. But I find my self breaking that rule more often than not. Especially when I get out of work, but I park with the sun beating on the plastic window so after work, it's very pliable so I have no worries.

litteng 11-14-2012 06:21 PM

lowest temp drive

was about -10 deg C, clear and dry, great trip into the office, but as soon as the snow flys , the black sheep went into hibernation...

Gary_d 11-15-2012 04:18 PM

:DTop, what top? That's why I have a convertible....
Only time it doesn't go out is when it's physically raining or snowing, then I take one of the Jags or the Jeep.

shadrach74 11-15-2012 05:19 PM

40 is about what I consider reasonable and comfortable with the heater blasting. I've not had any issues with the plastic rear window...