Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #1

Garage
Rolling 1st gear start

I am tryng to get my technique worked out on the rolling 1st gear start. The 2-4 mph roll seems ok, just let the clutch out slow, rpm's match and just be gentle on the gas to get going. Its that 5 - 7/8 mph that is tough. I almost want use 2nd instead but that seems to low rpms 1000 - 1100. I do some rolling 2nd gears, already in 2nd and come up to clear at 4 way stops. I'll be 1000 -1100 range and just gentle it up to the next 4 way. Like to save a shift/clutch engage when ever I can. My previous stick car, 09 Nissan Xterra, could do an easy 2nd gear low speed, obviously more low end torque. Saved a lot of shifting around the neighborhoods and traffic. How are others dealing with that low speed shift.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #2

Dont lug your engine. If you are in 2nd gear and at so low a speed that you have to floor it to keep it from bucking, youre doing more harm than good.
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
I am tryng to get my technique worked out on the rolling 1st gear start. The 2-4 mph roll seems ok, just let the clutch out slow, rpm's match and just be gentle on the gas to get going. Its that 5 - 7/8 mph that is tough. I almost want use 2nd instead but that seems to low rpms 1000 - 1100. I do some rolling 2nd gears, already in 2nd and come up to clear at 4 way stops. I'll be 1000 -1100 range and just gentle it up to the next 4 way. Like to save a shift/clutch engage when ever I can. My previous stick car, 09 Nissan Xterra, could do an easy 2nd gear low speed, obviously more low end torque. Saved a lot of shifting around the neighborhoods and traffic. How are others dealing with that low speed shift.
Watch out as that technique of yours will end up getting you a ticket someday. I almost rolled slowly through a 4 way stop in a residential neighborhood only to look up the street and see a motorcycle cop watching for just such an infraction. I watched in my rear view mirror as he got the guy behind me. If I approach a stop light and it turns green when I'm still going 5-7 mph I usually use 2nd gear. Much smoother that way.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #4

By the way, did you just start driving stick?
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #5

I do it all the time, just rev match as you put it in first, just as with any other gear, then slowly let the clutch out. In stop and go traffic I keep it in first gear and try to time it so I don't have to slip the clutch, and run anywhere from about 1k rpm to 3k rpm (about 15 mph) with no problem, just be very gentle with the gas inputs especially at the lower rpms.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoothlee View Post
By the way, did you just start driving stick?
Hey great response Bigsmoothlee, very helpful

So what do you do when you are rolling at 5-8 mph but not in first, maybe coasting in neutral maybe decelerating in 2nd??

BTW I have been driving stick shifts for over 35 years. Learned to drive on a stick shift. Never wore out a clutch or hurt an engine in 10 different manual cars. Are Porsches that fragile? I don't think so. You have to be smooth on the rpm up, not gun it, so as not to get the buck. Boxsters S is actually very smooth on this, I was surprised. Maybe it's because I know how to drive a manual.

BTW How long have you been driving a stick that this situation is so out of left field??
Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Ex Esso kid

When I first read it, I thought "rolling start" was referring to an ignition on, clutch engagement, engine start. If it's a full stop, I'd go to neutral and use the brakes, then re-engage the clutch after the stop and proceed. If you are merely slowing down to a crawl, not stopping, but then want to accelerate, then going to first is a delicate decision based on your own experiences with your own car, one in which road conditions such as incline will have an impact on as well. Going to first is not a problem but clearly it has to be accomplished at extremely slow crawls to avoid synchronizer damage, when it doubt slower is better.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-02-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #8

Double clutch, maybe.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #9

Garage
The manual vs a tiptronic gear ratio is different, a Tip is .12:1 lower. My tip doesn't downshift into first under normal driving. It's only when I hammer the throttle off the line or manually select it on the wheel that it will go into first. Even then I can tell the car needs to be fully stopped because of how low it is.

So what I'm saying is, if all things are equal (and even since they're not), save a shift and take off in second gear.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
pk2

Got the flue so if this makes no sense...

I drove my old 928 2 hours through LA once. It all sounds horrible but for every stop, I shut it down. Put in second and cranked the starter. Off and going. Ya have to be good at double clutching to get it up to speed.
PK