Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #1

A dumb spark plug tube question/s

I have a couple questions for anyone that has replaced the spark plug tubes...
I've had a couple leaky ones over the past year and I'll be replacing them soon! I have all the parts ready (and the 1" T-plug)... I'm pretty handy at working on my Boxster but I have never done these. My question is, do I need to drain the oil? And do I need to remove the plugs? Or can I just replace them as the car sits? I'm trying to figure out my plan of attack for the weekend. My plugs are fairly new and so is the oil...
Thanks, and sorry if these questions are dumb

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #2

Garage
Just undo the coils and pull the tubes out (thats the hardest part) as they will be tight. No need to drain the oil at all. Just make sure you put a bit of lube on the o-rings when you pop them back in. I use Engine assembly lube that actually works really good :-)
Pretty straight forward and easy job.
H
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:51 AM   #3

Thanks Heiko! I wasn't sure if I needed to drain it or not... wasn't sure how much oil to expect etc... I'll pick up some of that special lube too!
I'm also going to inspect the rear lower control arms while I'm back there. I've have the "clunk" for too long now! I want to get my Boxster sorted before the winter storage period so its ready for spring
Thanks!
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Homeboy981

Garage
One thing helped me on installing the tubes was using a deep socket (I forget the size), to help "push" the tube in place. Not HAMMER! Don't force it. One of the members had a really good post on how to do it, I may have gleaned the info from them….sorry to steal thunder where thunder is due!

Clunk….could be an engine mount. Or try the WD-40 trick in the joints (wish it worked on mine), that and a engine mount has quieted down my ride!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Homeboy981

Garage
One thing helped me on installing the tubes was using a deep socket (I forget the size), to help "push" the tube in place. Not HAMMER! Don't force it. One of the members had a really good post on how to do it, I may have gleaned the info from them….sorry to steal thunder where thunder is due!

Clunk….could be an engine mount. Or try the WD-40 trick in the joints (wish it worked on my joints-the bone type), that and a engine mount has quieted down my ride!