Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
jakesbox

Rattle in the car

All

Noticed it since I bought the car, but now looking to fix. Anyone ever have a problem with the plastic insert pieces right behind the headrest - attached to the roll bar hoops? Mine rattle quite a bit as if one of the plastic pieces that holds it in place is broke...but none are broke.

Anyone know of a fix or do these things just wear out?

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Mine were not exceptionally tight but they didn't fall out either. If you just want them tighter why not use half of a velcro to make some tabs that fit over the tabs that hold it in place? A little more material is going to tighten them and the velcro won't show if you cut it carefully color match should be spot on too.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #3

Garage
I put a couple of thin black zips ties on mine. No rattles or worries about them falling out while driving.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #4

Garage
Bought some black rubber with self adhesive on one side from Lowes. Cut to size for each tab. No rattle. Also black zip ties to prevent them from flying down the road. Too expensive to replace them, zip ties are cheap!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #5

The mesh inserts ARE expensive to replace . How do I know? I just lost my passenger side insert on Saturday. Upon arriving home, I zip-tied my driver's side insert and ordered a new passenger insert. The new insert should arrive today. I will zip-tie that one too. For the price I paid (even considerably less than dealer price), you would think they were made of precious metal.
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
I'm sorry but I laugh every time I see these posts.

Because mine WILL NEVER FLY AWAY! I am not trying to be a smart Alec but it cannot be stolen either simply because it is sandwiched between the Roll Bar and padding using factory clips.

The stock wind deflectors will NEVER hold up. They fall out, they get stolen. Replacements, sorry Jay, are expensive. I made one for less than $50.

When you are ready to retire it….PM me and I'll give you instructions on how you can make your own, for now. I may decide to sell them sooner or later.

This is a half size (so you can still hear the speakers):

Here it is installed:
Old 10-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Bought some black rubber with self adhesive on one side from Lowes. Cut to size for each tab. No rattle. Also black zip ties to prevent them from flying down the road. Too expensive to replace them, zip ties are cheap!
I did the same...

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote