986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Dash lights don't work??? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/3788-dash-lights-dont-work.html)

Killertraylor 09-26-2005 07:32 PM

Dash lights don't work???

I just got a new Boxster today - well, not NEW, but new to me. It's an 01' with 17K miles to replace the 01 I totalled a few months ago (some might remember my story of motorhome running me off the road!)

Anyway, I just drove it down to the gas station and couldn't get the dash lights to come on. The digital display works fine - displays mph, odomoter, etc. but the guages won't light up, nor will any of the buttons on the dash for the roof, windows, etc.

I checked all of the fuses in the kick panel below the steering wheel and they were all perfect. Can't find anything in the owner's manual that talks about a dimmer for the dash lights so I'm lost???

Anyone have this problem before, or any suggestions? Should I just take it to the dealership tomorrow?

RandallNeighbour 09-27-2005 05:47 AM

There is indeed a dimmer for the dash lights. Its one of the knobs up top on your display. I don't have my boxster with me at the office today or I'd try it and report back.

If you turn one knob all the way to the left or right and hold it there, it will flip the display over to KPH. No biggie, repeat the process to get it back to MPH. Then go to the other knob and your dash and dial lamps should get brighter or dimmer.

Now if this doesn't work, and you are certain your fuse isn't blown (did you test it properly, or just eyeball it?) then you may have to get it to a repair shop. One good fuse test is to swap out another of the same amperage in that slot that you know works.

Best of luck, and do report back as to what it was if indeed not a simple adjustment or a blown fuse.

deliriousga 09-27-2005 05:53 AM

It's the small knob around the instruments that has the light bulb picture on it. :cheers:

Killertraylor 09-27-2005 06:53 AM

Thank you both, but it didn't work. I did swap fuses with the spare, but will pick up a pack at the store and replace both of them that deal with illumination of instruments and see if that's the problem. I just did a visual inspection on the fuses and they look fine - but I know they can be bad and not appear to be. The wierd thing is that the guages work, it's just like someone dimmed them all the way down. It's under warranty for 2 more weeks, so I'm going to make an appt. and see what the stealership can do if the fuse replacements don't work.

I do appreciate the help though!

Joe

Killertraylor 09-27-2005 01:40 PM

Well, I tried new fuses - that wasn't the problem. I'm guessing the dimmer switch is broken or fried somehow. Made an appt. for Thursday - good thing I noticed it right away - my warranty expires in 2 weeks!

Killertraylor 09-29-2005 01:42 PM

Dropped the car off this morning. No sooner did the courtesy shuttle driver drop me off at the office and the dealership called and said they found the problem. It was a faulty headlight switch - it wasn't sending power to the dash lights. They replaced it under warranty with a new one and WAHLAH!!! THE DASH LIGHTS WORK! :dance:

Thanks again for the suggestions. I love it when stuff works - stresses me out when it isn't!

Joe

bmussatti 09-29-2005 02:31 PM

Like the song goes...."paradise by the dash board lights"!

deliriousga 09-29-2005 05:23 PM

Awesome!! Glad to hear they fixed it easily. Try not to stress over the little problems, though. They happen often with high performance automobiles. ;)

MNBoxster 09-29-2005 09:17 PM

Hi,

That is GREAT news!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99