986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   gt radials champiro 328 tires?? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37864-gt-radials-champiro-328-tires.html)

oc-boxster 10-27-2012 07:10 AM

gt radials champiro 328 tires??

when i bought my boxter 5 months ago 2 new tires were put on the front, but it needs 2 new rear tires asap, the front tires are GT radial champiro 328's. I have never heard of these tires before and an internet search doesnt give much review info, my question is does anyone know if these are decent enough tires to put on the rear to make a matching set? or should i throw away all 4 and start over with a michelin or hankook etc etc..the gt radials for the rear woud be 250.00 for the pair..id rather not throw out 2 brand new tires but if there junk i will..i dont track the car just spirited city/highway to keep the revs up but nothing crazy.

Topless 10-27-2012 07:27 AM

I've never heard of them before but a google search was revealing.
GT Radial USA

It looks like a good choice for a mostly commuter car in all weather and they will probably last. Not my first choice for a Boxster that regularly hits the canyons. If it were my car they would come off and I would go with:

Hankook RS-3 for max dry performance
Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec or Hankook V12 for excellent wet/dry performance.

On a Boxster, grip is everything to me and I have no use for a tire that will last 40K miles. I don't commute. YMMV

Homeboy981 10-27-2012 07:31 AM

You can always buy some decent back tires and plan to get the matching fronts later. Leave your little-to-no-name tires on the front and abuse them a little longer. Until balancing, cornering or handling becomes an issue. Besides, you will be replacing the backs again soon….even IF you just replaced them!

I am at 12,000 miles on Kumho ECSTA 4Xs. I know that is not a popular choice but hey, they are cheap, and still of acceptable quality on the street. They still have another 5k in them, maybe more w/o burnouts, chirps, or sliding around turns, yeah right! Like that's not going to happen! But even with abuse they have beat the average mileage, unless you drive SLOWLY which is not advised - for the sake of your motor! Engine vs. Tires = Tires lose every time!

Down force can have its' down-sides. The fronts last forever compared to the rears! The back tires are just waaay more fun to burn, so to speak.

oc-boxster 10-27-2012 07:39 AM

i think for peace of mind i will just start from scratch and buy a set of hankook v-12 evos i hear good things and they are affordable just need to get the loud pirrellis off the rear asap..

srad34 10-27-2012 09:33 AM

They sell Champiros in the UK, they are okay but not all out sports tyres. I had a set on my Celica GT4 and they gave decent grip and wear.
I would use them again.....