Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #1

Update: Yet another one Drooling and wanting a Porsche

Well a year and 3 months have passed and , I still have the Porsche bug am looking into getting a 2005 above model Boxter S. If I get my goal of paying off all my credit cards to zero by Nov of 2012, I will be used to paying $1,000 a month that will be enough for a nice certified one including insurance right? am keeping my fingers crossed and am looking forward to the members of this forum to get me on the right track. Peace and God Speed!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #2

I can truly appreciate the Porsche bug, but I am give only one piece of advice. If you are use to paying $1,000 a month to the Credit Card Companies, chances are other saving methods have suffered. Please make sure you have other savings accounts built up before buying a Porsche. The worst thing that could happen is, you buy one, and a MAJOR repair comes up and you need to rely on the Credit Cards again. Could you finances sustain a $10,000+ repair without relying on Credit Cards?

It is a vicious cycle that has destroyed many people.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice
I can truly appreciate the Porsche bug, but I am give only one piece of advice. If you are use to paying $1,000 a month to the Credit Card Companies, chances are other saving methods have suffered. Please make sure you have other savings accounts built up before buying a Porsche. The worst thing that could happen is, you buy one, and a MAJOR repair comes up and you need to rely on the Credit Cards again. Could you finances sustain a $10,000+ repair without relying on Credit Cards?

It is a vicious cycle that has destroyed many people.
Very Well Said , that is why I am opting for a Certified Vehicle if it does make sense , anyway Porsche cars are for elitists like you which I guess am not one of them.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgeebeekei10
Very Well Said , that is why I am opting for a Certified Vehicle if it does make sense , anyway Porsche cars are for elitists like you which I guess am not one of them.

First, I never said I was an elitist.

Second, anyone can own a Porsche, especially with the depreciated values. I have personally seen people go further in debt even after owning a Nissan that broke prematurely to having their savings rebuilt.

Third, I wish you the best in your shopping for a Porsche. If you do your homework and are fully prepared, it will be a rewarding experience, even coming from a non-elitist. As many will tell you on this forum, if you are not prepared, it will be a miserable experience.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
kls

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgeebeekei10

Did I miss something in tnoice's response that was "elitist"?
kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #6

I missed it too. All I see is solid advice on how to prepare for ownership. I assumed the OP was asking for that sort of thing.

I got similar advice before making the plunge, and it proved to be very useful for me. I am glad I had the cash in the bank when my repair bills hit.

Last edited by Roosell; 01-20-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Roosell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #7

thanks for the advice, and sorry for the confusion it has caused. As of the elitist remark it just sounded as if the comment was you'll never can afford a porsche bec you cannot afford to pay a 10,000 bill to fix your porche.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

When I took my Boxster into my local Porsche dealer for the PPI, the first thing that the service advisor asked was "Are you ready for the costs of maintaining a luxury car?"

I told him that I already had two BMW's and knew that any trip to the dealer was going to cost $400-$700 (or lots more!) and then he laughed, patted me on the shoulder, and said, "Ok, you know what you're getting into!"

Buying a luxury car (any type) isn't elitist but it is expensive and the costs are impossible to predict so you either need to be able to afford the repairs as they come along or be able to save up and have a reserve ready. Of course, doing work yourself can save a bundle but still, even the parts are much more expensive than standard vehicles.

My experience is that a CPO vehicle is break-even - meaning that you're likely to spend about the same $2,000 on repairs during the duration of the warranty that the CPO cost to get. The one thing that the CPO does provide is catastrophic coverage of a total engine failure.

I think that is all that the other posters were trying to say.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 AM   #9

One other thought, I bought an 06 CPO a year ago, and the coverage will only carry me 1/2 way thru my 5-year loan. So I'll either be on my own, or have to buy coverage (or another car).
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
Porscheectomy

I have been an elitist all my life so I figured I had better buy a Porsche to prove it. All those japanese cars I had been driving were just not showing off my mental mindset the way this car does.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #11

I truly believe all Porsche owners have varying levels of OCD.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I have been an elitist all my life so I figured I had better buy a Porsche to prove it. All those japanese cars I had been driving were just not showing off my mental mindset the way this car does.

My oh my!! But How can I afford? a $10,000 payment to fix my Porsche maybe I should go Japanese
Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #13

Just know that what you're doing is nothing new. Many people have sold their Porsche because they can't afford to keep it due to engine failure/lost of job/nasty divorce/etc etc.

People come and go a lot in the forum.

Roll a dice, life is short.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #14

I propose that buying a Porsche, or any other "enthusiast" car can never be a totally "right brain" rational decision. It is, rather, an emotional and therefore totally non rational decision. One can, though, be as rational as possible in making a totally emotional decision...... if that makes sense.

If your finances are tight then ask how tight? Can you do the work yourself? If not all the work then can you at least do some? Do you have the space and the tools to do the work? Can you cover your responsibilities while the car is down for the work you need to do on it? Are you resourcefull enough to find out how to diagnose a problem and then find out how to take care of it? Porsche repair shops assume that you have unlimitted means to take care of any problem. You don't want to be the guy walking in saying "Please sir fix my problem, I'm totally clueless". You will pay out the nose!

Make a sound decision as to what car to buy. Make a sound decision as to what your resources are. If you give eveything you have to get it with no "reserves" for repairs...you may be caught in a bad situation. All used cars have some deffered maintenance required..ALL of them! Heck as soon as you put one mile on a car you are only so many miles from an oil change or an engine rebuild...one is just much closer than the other!

I know that everything I have stated is simple common sense but so many get caught up in the emotion of an emotional transaction that they lose focus. A Porsche is not a "point A to point B" appliance like a Toyota or Ford. They cost more to maintain, they just do. It should be no suprise yet it suprises many...go figure!
Boxsterund914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #15

Just buy the car and enjoy it.
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgood View Post
Just buy the car and enjoy it.
Total Zombie thread , Just got 2013 boxster base 10/19/2012
Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
So now you are a true elitist and went all the way into the deep end! Post a pic or two, I want to see how the better half lives (snerk: insert sarcasim font for fun)

Seriously would love to see your new toy!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
I truly believe all Porsche owners have varying levels of OCD.
I'd second that and go a bit further, that same "OCD" is what made us successful enough in our chosen professions to enjoy a Porsche. When you work in medicine being consistent about the execution of your duties has a direct effect on patient outcomes. As for "the elitist" whadda ya expect from a guy who lives in Champagne.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 10-28-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #19

Garage
So you beat your goal of paying every thing off by a month! Congrats and yes I am jealous - a 2013! I guess you don't have to worry about repairs for a while. Would love to see pics as well. Where in Texas?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
As the old saying goes, this thread is worthless without pics.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote