986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   break-in on new pads and rotars (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37851-break-new-pads-rotars.html)

tanque55 10-26-2012 11:57 AM

break-in on new pads and rotars

Just wondering what the correct procedure for getting the new pads and rotors to set correctly, if there is one. Doing the job tomorrow.

WhipE350 10-26-2012 12:14 PM

Not sure what others do but I go about 70mph brake very hard down to about 5mph and do it 3 times...always worked for me. Is it necessary...donno think I read it somewhere.

tanque55 10-26-2012 01:13 PM

Thanks. I keep forgetting to search the forum first before asking! I saw several techniques here and I got a pretty good idea.

tony_fury 10-26-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanque55 (Post 310729)
Just wondering what the correct procedure for getting the new pads and rotors to set correctly, if there is one. Doing the job tomorrow.

Here's the procedure I used..
  1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
  2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
  3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
  4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
  5. After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.

thstone 10-26-2012 02:31 PM

Either of the above procedures will work, as will many others that are similar. The point is to get the pads up to temp so a light coating of pad material is deposited on the rotors. This means you need to get the brakes hot and they may even be smoking. You may feel the ABS pulsating during this procedure, so be prepared for that. You'll know you did it right when it smells like the brakes are burning. If you don't know what that smells like, trust me, you'll understand when you smell it. The rotors should have a grey or bluish look to them when you're done. Then let everything cool down.

Be careful not to sit at a stoplight with your foot on the brakes after doing this procedure or you will end up with an uneven deposit of pad material on the rotor and then you might feel pulsating in the pedal when braking as the pads hit the high spot.

Obviously, you'll need a safe place to do this so pick your location and time of day sensibly.

san rensho 10-26-2012 03:17 PM

Or, just go to the track and brake early on the first lap.

ppbon 10-26-2012 03:17 PM

If it's a street car ...

... just drive normally.
They'll be completely bedded in in about 30 miles.
If it's for the track, use the above procedures.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanque55 (Post 310729)