Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2023, 07:32 AM   #1

Shifter upgrade

I am considering an upgrade. I found this 997 shifter with what appears to be a short shift kit. Does anybody recognize the kit? Will this work on e 5 speed 986?

wiebuschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 06:45 AM   #2

Not sure what short shifter that is, but yes, it will fit. All 986/996/987/997 shift units are interchangeable.

From what I recall, the 9x7 shifter is 15% reduction over 986S and 996, and 25% reduction over base 986

But this is a short shifter, so I would say another 10-15% reduction over the standard 9x7 unit.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 08:44 AM   #3

I wound up buying another 986 shifter to mod and the ebay short shifter. I have to say it was not a great fit. The bushings were snug enough but I had to remove internal washer from them to have room to put the clips on. I had to turn the shift shaft 180* as it was leaning the wrong direction. I had to file off some of the bottom of the shifter because it was rubbing on the cradle. I believe the stock shifter sits further to the front for clearance. It still has a bit of slop but is much tighter than stock. It takes more effort to shift for sure but I like the short throw. I may end up with a 987 shifter but will run this a while to see if it grows on me.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebuschk View Post
I wound up buying another 986 shifter to mod and the ebay short shifter. I have to say it was not a great fit. The bushings were snug enough but I had to remove internal washer from them to have room to put the clips on. I had to turn the shift shaft 180* as it was leaning the wrong direction. I had to file off some of the bottom of the shifter because it was rubbing on the cradle. I believe the stock shifter sits further to the front for clearance. It still has a bit of slop but is much tighter than stock. It takes more effort to shift for sure but I like the short throw. I may end up with a 987 shifter but will run this a while to see if it grows on me.
This mirrors what I experienced as well with the ebay shifter. Now that it's done, I like it, but it was a bit of a nightmare to get it all sorted. I actually had to cut off and grind one end down to get the clips to fit, so I thought I had the wrong one, but whatever, I made it work. Mine has no slop at all, and the throw is very short, so for now I'm good, but I'm always keeping an eye out for a 997 short shifter, or bite the bullet at some point on a Numeric.
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 05:02 AM   #5

I am pretty sure the slop I have is in the linkage not the shifter itself. BTW there are several 997 shifters on ebay for around $200. 997 424 0100 is the number. There is also a factory short shifter for $300 997 424 98300
Old 05-11-2023, 05:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebuschk View Post
I am pretty sure the slop I have is in the linkage not the shifter itself. BTW there are several 997 shifters on ebay for around $200. 997 424 0100 is the number. There is also a factory short shifter for $300 997 424 98300
Yes, I have the part numbers saved already, thanks! I check periodically, but so far I am ok with what I have, so I'm not actively looking. If I find one really cheap I'd probably jump on it, but for now I can wait.

edit: I just checked and the cheapest factory short shifter I see is almost $750 on ebay and the most expensive is $950

edit 2: They are also available at Suncoast and various other Porsche parts dealers for around $550 so ebay is way too high. Numeric is $750, so If I'm dropping that much money, I'm going Numeric everyday.

Last edited by redpepperracing; 05-11-2023 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2023, 06:30 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Owner

https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/product/bens-porsche-996-986-short-shifter/
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:04 AM   #9

I believe I had seen that when I was investigating short shifters. I figured I'd try the ebay special and see how it goes. So far I like it, but Ben's will definitely be on the short list for me if I want to change.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:05 AM   #10

I'm curious why this is "better" and if so why didn't Porsche include it in the original car
Bush Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:44 AM   #11

I have one of Ben's short shifters too and really like it. It feels quicker and more precise than OEM. Installing the short shifter isn't that all that difficult. See how I did it here: https://rx19jones.wixsite.com/projectboxster/projectboxster2

Old 05-12-2023, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pilot View Post
I'm curious why this is "better" and if so why didn't Porsche include it in the original car
They offered it as a post-delivery dealer installed option.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:59 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pilot View Post
You will understand why it is better when you drive a Boxster with a short shift kit. The stock shifter feels like it should be in a 1960's VW beetle.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:31 AM   #14

I installed a standard 997 shifter about 3 years ago. It is the standard 997 shifter not a short shifter. (The short shifters for sale at the time were significantly more expensive, but not as expensive as redpepperacing found with his recent search.)

I'm pleased with the results and the installation was straightforward.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote