986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Front License Plate Hole Cover Things (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37767-front-license-plate-hole-cover-things.html)

Coffinhunter 10-19-2012 02:24 PM

Front License Plate Hole Cover Things

When I got the car in Texas it had front license plates, and now that I no longer have to have them....poof they are gone. I took off the frame and the backing plate. Now there are the two little rectangularish pieces that are in the holes in the front bumper.

I seem to remember seeing "plugs" that matched the color of the car available somewhere, bt I can't remember where and I was unable to find it in the search of this site. Anybody know where I can find them and how much they are?

Thanks

Bryan topping 10-19-2012 02:26 PM

Try bumperplugs.com

Coffinhunter 10-19-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan topping (Post 309912)
Try bumperplugs.com

THAT"S THE ONE!!!!!

Thanks

BruceH 10-20-2012 07:18 AM

I bought them for mine and love them! When you order, you might want to add the plug for the driver's side key hole as well.

Steve03986 10-20-2012 12:02 PM

I bought my bumper plugs at Eagle Day. Price was $19.95 I recall. They look great.

Dgrange 10-20-2012 12:28 PM

Just got mine delivered today, putting them on tomorrow!!

deptotpr 04-15-2013 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent all morning searching Rennlist, and every Boxster Forum to fiqure how to put on the europlate, using the license plate holes. After two hours, I fiqured it out. Drill two small holes directly into the front plastic bumper itself, on each side of the Euro frame cover, bend the plate around the curve, and screw the fuc$er in...wa-la. lol :cheers:

leknus 04-15-2013 02:30 PM

Front bumper plugs

Those plugs that you can get look good, but if you use a car cover or a bra, the paint will rub off in no time. I found the best alternative is to go to a hardware store and get a couple of chrome plugs. They are intended for round holes but will stay in with a very slight dab of superglue. Try several sizes to get one that will fit.

Mark_T 04-15-2013 02:55 PM

Seriously? Chrome plugs? I'll bet that looks just dandy. :rolleyes:

The question that comes to mind is, if you're going to cover the bumper with a bra, why bother plugging the holes?

mistermac99 04-15-2013 03:00 PM

I had a front respray a couple weeks ago, and I had them fill and paint over mine. I can't see myself ever putting a tag on the front, but that's just me.

leknus 04-15-2013 03:08 PM

Seriously

Bra is for rare road trips on Interstates. The rest of the car's use is on our lovely curvy Tennessee back roads. Since my car is silver, I can live with the dandy appearance. Seriously, I tried the bumperplugs and my OEM car cover rubbed the paint off. And seriously, I keep my car in my garage with lots of sawdust, & other stuff floating around.

Seriously

Auf los! 04-15-2013 04:31 PM

I also had "bumperplug failure," and I don't own a car cover. Despite carefully protecting them with wax, the paint on my plugs just loosened and came off in one piece, as a kind of "cap." BP obviously doesn't sand and primer the plugs before shooting paint on them.

Guess I'll have to make my own when I get around to it.

CoBeerToad 04-16-2013 07:07 AM

I like the idea for the door keyhole plug, but how easy is it to remove temporarily? Concerned about the remote "going dead" after 7-ish days of non-use and with Chicago having off and on winters lately, there may possibly be several times where the car sits for a couple weeks followed by a day and a half of driving weather.

BruceH 04-16-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoBeerToad (Post 337808)
I like the idea for the door keyhole plug, but how easy is it to remove temporarily? Concerned about the remote "going dead" after 7-ish days of non-use and with Chicago having off and on winters lately, there may possibly be several times where the car sits for a couple weeks followed by a day and a half of driving weather.

Comes out easily, no worries.

woodsman 04-18-2013 10:55 AM

uh oh,another case of BUMPER PLUG FAILURE !!:eek: