986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Brake Caliper Color - Opinion (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37748-brake-caliper-color-opinion.html)

tony_fury 10-18-2012 11:39 AM

Brake Caliper Color - Opinion

I was to solicit opinions on which brake caliper color would look best.
I am leaning towards RED but I've been looking at different options.

I have chrome wheels on arctic silver.

Since I only want to paint these calipers once.
I have spent a fair amount of time on each caliper cleaning them..
Drill wire brush, hand wire brush, sanding and cleaner...

My choices are:
  1. Red
  2. Silver
  3. Black
Sorry you fast yellow owners but I don't think fast yellow will go with the arctic silver..

Thanks for your input..
T

Spinnaker 10-18-2012 03:27 PM

In all reality, my opinion doesn't count, only yours does.

Homeboy981 10-18-2012 03:33 PM

I'm sandbaggin! I said Red because I wanted to try Silver FIRST! he-he:D

Spinnaker is right. Please yourself, if someone doesn't like tough. CHROME would match your wheels.

Mark_T 10-18-2012 04:59 PM

What color lettering would you select for each caliper color? What color is your interior?

schnellman 10-18-2012 05:08 PM

Imho

I painted mine red and used white "Porsche" decals. They really look sharp.

tony_fury 10-18-2012 05:30 PM

I have while lettering..
True it's my call, to do all this prep work on the calipers I should make them 'pop'..

Silver would just blend in, black would be a little subdued..

Thanks for the feedback..

T

Johnny Danger 10-18-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony_fury (Post 309736)
I was to solicit opinions on which brake caliper color would look best.
I am leaning towards RED but I've been looking at different options.

I have chrome wheels on arctic silver.

Since I only want to paint these calipers once.
I have spent a fair amount of time on each caliper cleaning them..
Drill wire brush, hand wire brush, sanding and cleaner...

My choices are:
  1. Red
  2. Silver
  3. Black
Sorry you fast yellow owners but I don't think fast yellow will go with the arctic silver..

Thanks for your input..
T

It's Speed Yellow ! Get it right ! :)

tony_fury 10-18-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 309798)
It's Speed Yellow ! Get it right ! :)

My Bad.........

Speed Yellow...

Thanks JD for that correction...:p

shadrach74 10-18-2012 06:27 PM

IMO Red contrasts nice with silver and makes for a classic if not common combo (my car has this combo). But then I've never cared for chrome wheels, so I don't know how they'd mix. When I was in Italy in 2010 I saw a lot of orange, as well as light green (almost mint) that looked pretty sharp. High gloss white with black lettering might look sharp, if only for a short time...

Topless 10-18-2012 06:32 PM

Understated elegance- High Gloss Black
Subtle bling- Red

Gforrest2 10-18-2012 07:16 PM

Previous owner painted calipers red. I added silver lettering. Goes nice with my Arctic Silver Body and black interior.

986_c6 10-18-2012 10:25 PM

If you have so much bling already with the chromies, then black would look nice.

kk2002s 10-19-2012 05:21 AM

Voted Red as it looks good on S models. also don't forget the Clear coat after painting. On a related note - Has anyone had to repair/repaint the Clear used on 'S' model calipers. My 2002 is starting to peel off and the exposed Red is fading. Any thoughts, techniques and brand of Clear coat would be helpful

Mike o 10-19-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk2002s (Post 309845)
Voted Red as it looks good on S models. also don't forget the Clear coat after painting. On a related note - Has anyone had to repair/repaint the Clear used on 'S' model calipers. My 2002 is starting to peel off and the exposed Red is fading. Any thoughts, techniques and brand of Clear coat would be helpful

I'm interested in this answer as well. Not sure if the clear coat is benefit or future problem?

thstone 10-19-2012 06:36 AM

I have red calipers on a silver arctic car. The red contrasts best. Silver or black would blend in and be invisibe.

BruceH 10-19-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk2002s (Post 309845)

Mine is also doing this. I plan on re-painting, and a new clear coat. If someone has just put a new clear coat on with success, I would be interested in hearing that also.

RandallNeighbour 10-19-2012 09:35 AM

Best thing to do for peeling and faded calipers on older boxsters is to send them to the guy who advertises powerdercoating/rebuilding in the PCA magazine. I think he charges $150 a corner.

Then they'll look nice for a long long time.

The problem with attempting to "repair" the red S calipers with flaking clearcoat is an issue of quality after you're done. To do it right, you'll need to remove them, sand them down all over, respray them with high temp red caliper paint, and then add the white lettering and clear coat them with high temp clear caliper paint. It's a lot of work and $150 per caliper starts looking awfully cheap before you get done with the second one!

And remember, you aren't just getting a cosmetic facelift, but a rebuild while you're at it. All new seals and pistons. Not a bad price, really. Some of the parts are very hard to find to do this yourself.

Stroked & Blown 10-19-2012 10:00 AM

If you are going to powder coat them, check out THEPOWDERCOATER.COM
Haven't used him myself, but friends have with great results....and I doubt it will run you $600 :eek: for all 4 corners

tony_fury 10-19-2012 03:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback.:):):)

Red it is, picked it up today at lunch. My Saturday will be consumed with taping and painting them..
Will be glad to put the tires back on the car...

I have brake dust everywhere. 11 years of dust...:eek: