986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Key Programming Scan-Tool (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37651-key-programming-scan-tool.html)

Mrmaddbrad 10-09-2012 07:16 PM

Key Programming Scan-Tool

So after running a quick search of forums on how to reprogram a key, i have come to the conclusion of a few things.

1. You need a, i believe 4-digit, code that comes with all new keys from the dealership (usually lost or thrown away by people or their previous owner :troll: )
2. A dealership to reprogram it.

After further digging, it appears you can buy a scan tool: PIWIS PC KTS520. Which allows you to reprogram keys, reset all service lights, have full diagnostic tools, check voltage on almost all systems through out the car, etc. Seems to be basically a dealer-level scan-tool.

So here rises my question: Has anyone had experience with these? I work for a german-specific auto shop and my boss and I have been talking about buying a porsche scan-tool, but it seems like none of them have as many functions as we'd like, and Porsche will not sell there factory ones.

Sooooo, is this too good to be true? Does it really reprogram keys, I assume you still need that 4-digit code? Who has experience with it?

Any idea what it costs?

Heres a link I found, maybe there is a less sketchy website to order from?

Piwis Pc Kts520 Diagnostic Tool - Buy Piwis Kts520,Kts520 For Porsche,Kts520 Diagnostic Kit Product on Alibaba.com

Thanks guys,
~Brad

JFP in PA 10-10-2012 02:55 AM

A real PIWIS goes for north of $15K first year's lease; the thing you are looking at is a knock off of unknown origins and capabilities..............

jb92563 10-10-2012 08:21 AM

I found this which sounds like the equivalent of a PIWIS and better (ECU programmer).

Does Keys as well.

Autologic-Diagnostics -PORSCHE Diagnostics

Don't know how much they cost but update us if you find out.

JFP in PA 10-10-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 308832)
I found this which sounds like the equivalent of a PIWIS and better (ECU programmer).

Does Keys as well.

Autologic-Diagnostics -PORSCHE Diagnostics

Don't know how much they cost but update us if you find out.

Base unit for Porsche runs about $12K.

pk2 10-10-2012 09:52 AM

Verify what I'm saying on some other related forums but pretty sure the PIWIS PC KTS520 is a customized standard Bosch diagnostics tool called the KT5XX (I think that's the nomenclature). Several revisions of the KT5XX will do a good deal of what the PIWIS will do. It can also be modded to perform exactly as a PIWIS (or PS2, the PIWIS's predecessor). Not to hard to do but finding out exactly how might trip you up unless you really understand the things.

I'm surprised the Chinese knockoffs on allibaba are as expensive as they are, It's 5-15 yr. old tech, can't be that hard to knock-off ... unless they actually are licensed by Bosch (don't laugh, stranger things have happened).

If you don't mind used, there seem to be a fair number of both on them on the UK eBay. Being a little antiquated and looking a bit rough around the edges, it's unlikely they're knockoffs. Seem to recall $2-3k. Also seen them on US eBay.

Regards, PK

stephe57 10-10-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad (Post 308787)
So after running a quick search of forums on how to reprogram a key, i have come to the conclusion of a few things.

1. You need a, i believe 4-digit, code that comes with all new keys from the dealership (usually lost or thrown away by people or their previous owner :troll: )
2. A dealership to reprogram it.

After further digging, it appears you can buy a scan tool: PIWIS PC KTS520. Which allows you to reprogram keys, reset all service lights, have full diagnostic tools, check voltage on almost all systems through out the car, etc. Seems to be basically a dealer-level scan-tool.

So here rises my question: Has anyone had experience with these? I work for a german-specific auto shop and my boss and I have been talking about buying a porsche scan-tool, but it seems like none of them have as many functions as we'd like, and Porsche will not sell there factory ones.

Sooooo, is this too good to be true? Does it really reprogram keys, I assume you still need that 4-digit code? Who has experience with it?

Any idea what it costs?

Heres a link I found, maybe there is a less sketchy website to order from?

Piwis Pc Kts520 Diagnostic Tool - Buy Piwis Kts520,Kts520 For Porsche,Kts520 Diagnostic Kit Product on Alibaba.com

Thanks guys,
~Brad

As far as programming a key for the 986 Boxster, there are a few steps involved. First, your Vehicle Program Codes have to be obtained. That is done via the Technicians Online Program that is linked to Porsche, and your VIN. Your VIN holds all Immobilizer codes for programming. Once the Learning Code is obtain, the Key Head (Immobilizer Pill) is programmed to the Alarm Control Module, then the car can be started...Second the Keys Head has to be programmed to lock and unlock (doors, frunk, trunk). That is done with a 24 digit code that comes with the Key Head only. That is the code that comes up missing....:confused: and unfortunatly can not be re-printed or searched.

-Ty