986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Homecoming Queen (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37649-homecoming-queen.html)

Crono0001 10-11-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 308909)
quote: And is designed to not kill you when the car rolls over.

Um that's what the bar is for, the folded top would be as effective as Willie Coyote's paper umbrella in a roll over.

I don't forsee these rollbars actually saving me in a rollover. I'm going to assume that if I ever roll over my car, I'm going to lose my head...
... and well deserved too, if I ever manage to rollover this car.

Meir 10-11-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono0001 (Post 308981)
I don't forsee these rollbars actually saving me in a rollover. I'm going to assume that if I ever roll over my car, I'm going to lose my head...

think again. :eek:

porsche boxster cliff crash - YouTube

Ghostrider 310 10-11-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono0001 (Post 308981)

I think they would work fine, after seeing the vent design I'm even more confident the Germans have poured over these vehicles. The folding top however has no value in such a crash, on the Fiat it's supposed to be an aluminum windshield frame that saves you, that is the car I'd worry about becoming the headless horseman in. As for Meir's video, that little @#$%& wouldn't have been getting his license as soon as he turned sixteen for shizzle. Of course no keys equals no crash dad.

Crono0001 10-11-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 308983)

Holy crap. I stand corrected

EDIT: In other news. Those teens deserve to lose their heads. Poor car.
EDIT2: That woman just said 911 convertible... *shake my head*..

KevinH1990 10-21-2012 04:27 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Heiko's suggestion worked. Fortunately, my daughter's friend is slender, so she fit fine in the space where the plexiglass windblocker mounts. I took out the mesh windscreens and the roll bar made excellent hand grips. There was no damage to the car and my wife and I had a great time. As an added bonus, the "princess" I drove was selected queen.

I took some pictures, but I'll need to ask the young lady's parents permission before I post them.

papasmurf 10-22-2012 11:16 AM

Glad to hear it worked out...

I think too many people were of the "doom and gloom type" IMO and predicted major damage to the car/roof/etc. Most of the time it would seem the girls selected in these kind of events "tend" to be on the slender side and it would have been pretty obvious I would think if her weight or width would have been an issue in the first place. You did a good thing and made the night special for her as well.