986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Hi Guys! New Boxster S owner, some general questions! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/3755-hi-guys-new-boxster-s-owner-some-general-questions.html)

AUDIOGUY 09-22-2005 04:41 PM

Hi Guys! New Boxster S owner, some general questions!

Hello guys.

I have been reading alot of the posts on this board and like what I see. Much
helpful info and seemingly knowledgable people!

I am the proud second owner of a beautiful 2001 Boxster S. I was looking for an 01 or 02 for some time and found one with 99% of the options I wanted. Being a convert from BMW... traded in a 2000 M roadster, I couldnt believe how tough it
was to find a car with Xenons, PSM, 18 inch wheels, 6 speed, heated seats..
Enough rambling..

My questions are as follows:

1 The car came with 18 inch Twist wheels and brand new Pirelli P Zeros.
Not my first choice in tire but new none-the-less.
Is it possible that when the car sits for 8 hours or so these tires can develope
a "flat spot" and shimmy my steering wheel for the first few miles of driving?
It is driving me crazy.. Alignment is fine, wheel balance is fine, tie rods appear
not to have play... What is it?

2 I have installed a B & B tri-flow exhaust with great results.. I have an
Evolution intake kit that is going in this weekend. Is there a particular
software download that everyone likes or is proven to work well?

So far so good. There is an awful lot to like about the Boxster S... that is tough
coming from an M roadster.. I do believe this is a better driving experience as a
whole. I am looking forward to some years of Porsche Bliss!

Thanks for the info! Please feel free to drop a note and introduce yourselves.
I am in the Auto Collision Industry so any Claim or Physical damage questions, please dont hesitate to let me know!

Kindly,
Joe

01 Boxster S
Triple Black
All the right options!

Frank 09-22-2005 05:08 PM

Hi,
Congratulations on your car and joining the forum.I live in Toms River so not to far from you.Good luck with it an maybee I'll see you on the road.
Frank

deliriousga 09-22-2005 05:24 PM

Congrats on the new Boxster!!

I don't have answers to your two questions, but I will give you a tip on the Xenon headlights. Keep the Boxster locked at ALL times, no matter how quick you're running into a place. The headlights can be popped out in about 1-2 minutes by someone who knows what they're doing and the Xenons go for a pretty penny on the black market. The quick release is wonderful for maintenance, but gives thieves an easy score if the hood isn't locked.

Enjoy!! :cheers:

9000RPMan 09-22-2005 06:10 PM

Hey Joe,
Good luck with the new (to you) Boxster. I am pretty close as well (Camden County here). I agree with the advice about locking the car, as I changed my headlight bulbs in literally 3 minutes, so a knowledgable thief could do it in nothing flat.

Brucelee 09-22-2005 06:30 PM

If your shimmy goes away after the tires warm, then it is likely tires. I have experienced this with the P Zeros myself and have dismissed it as a non-issue.

Best of luck and welcome aboard!

:cheers:

bigislandboxster 09-22-2005 06:41 PM

Cool to have ya!!

I had the same issue with my PZeros when I bought my '98, they weren't new, but pretty close to it......Check to make sure if they are inflated properly as well, I had an issue with a tire being low and that may have played into it too....

PDXBoxster 09-22-2005 06:47 PM

same same on the tires

Congrats on the S!

I have new Michelin PS2 tires and I have the same thing; flat spot shimy until the tires warm a bit...I'd say a couple of miles or so before things tighten up and smooth out.

jmabasa 09-23-2005 09:41 AM

Hi Audioguy. May I ask how much you got your car for?