986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Garage Bay Rentals (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37538-garage-bay-rentals.html)

rp17 09-28-2012 07:13 PM

Garage Bay Rentals

Came across a company that offers garage bays for rental that includes tool rentals and most importantly 2 and 4 post lifts. Having access to a 2 post lift maybe once or twice a year and not having it take up the space, seems real tempting. Has anyone tried one of these before? I see plenty of pros. Any cons?

Kenny Boxster 09-29-2012 08:25 AM

Where is this? In Plano, Tx? Company name please.

healthservices 09-29-2012 08:48 AM

I see dropped cars, abused and missing tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

healthservices 09-29-2012 08:50 AM

Actually I love to open a place like that, although it sounds impossible here n sue happy California.

Skrapmot 09-29-2012 09:49 AM

Some places have clubs that you can "rent" garage time with lifts and such, depends on your area.
The military bases where I grew up had an open garage like that.

Ghostrider 310 09-29-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 307717)
Actually I love to open a place like that, although it sounds impossible here n sue happy California.

Getting insurance for a place like that would blow in any state. What do you do when some yahoo totally incapacitates their car attempting repair and now an immobile junk pile is on your rent a lift.

rp17 09-29-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster (Post 307714)
Where is this? In Plano, Tx? Company name please.

I was driving to work and saw a ad on a bus. Place is called Jack Junkies. It sounds like a great idea for up and coming mechanics and someone who needs to do a job or two which requires a lift.

Home - Jack Junkies - DIY Auto Repair Garage

rp17 09-29-2012 12:06 PM

I plan on going by there this weekend to check it out maybe tom. My concerns being that its not a old sweaty warehouse with old second hand lifts etc. But the website looks descent and they even have technicians on site IIRC.

Good question on the liablity claims. My first though was running into problems and a job taking a little longer than planned which could double your cost.

I talked to someone who did a muffler on there garage floor. His eyes lit up with the though of just having a lift to do the job.

Spinnaker 09-29-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rp17 (Post 307672)
I see plenty of pros. Any cons?

We have a place like this about 17 miles from Seattle. The only downside I can see is the cost. At $35/hr or $300/day for a bay with a lift, the expense will add up awfully fast.
http://selfservegarage.com/
The place by you is about half the cost, so that would soften the impact on the wallet. If you can get some friends to help, and are organized and prepared to get in and out with out wasting any time, it could be an option.
I remember how nice it was to work on cars, on a lift, when we were kids. Someone always had a job at a service station and we would work on our cars all night long after closing the station in the evening.

Kenny Boxster 09-29-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rp17 (Post 307735)

I talked to someone who did a muffler on there garage floor. His eyes lit up with the though of just having a lift to do the job.

I can attest to this. :)

Skrapmot 09-30-2012 05:13 PM

I'd pay 35 bucks for a quick lift for an oil change or muffler swap.

stateofidleness 09-30-2012 07:09 PM

You can do this on base btw if you have any military connections.

mnc-i 10-01-2012 07:45 AM

I have done all of my personal Boxster maintenace in a rented garage bay (brake job..rotors, pads; oil & filter changes; sparkplug changes; replaced fuel filter).

Being a retired Soldier, I have access to what is call Sprockets on Fort Hood. Just about every Army post has an equivalent do-it-yourself auto maintenance facility.

It costs me $4.00 to $5.00 per hour to rent the bay. The bays have modern lifts (drive up or lift by the frame). They have a buttload of tools to include air wrenches, engine hoists, torque wrenches, you name it they have it available and all you have to do is ask for it and sign it out at no cost.

The best thing about it is that they have mechanics on duty to help you out if you have questions or are having trouble doing something.

MNC-I

HAUSIDMT 10-01-2012 08:48 AM

Glad to see the Army still has those. I remember wanting to do an oil change on my Vette back in the nineties and the AF had shut it down on the base where I was. Or so I was told, subsequent bases found a repair shop that offered discounted services compared to off-base.

BYprodriver 10-01-2012 12:35 PM

When I was at Camp Lejune for USMC advanced vehicle mechanics school I found a drive-on pit in a deserted field where I could crawl under & change oil,etc.
Damn AirForce always got the best facilities! USMC trained to do the most with the least!

healthservices 10-02-2012 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 307726)
Getting insurance for a place like that would blow in any state. What do you do when some yahoo totally incapacitates their car attempting repair and now an immobile junk pile is on your rent a lift.

That is not as big of a deal as you may think. If the shop is equipped correctly you just lower the car onto some dollies and push it aside. Then charge storage.

My problem is when is when a guy drops a car off a lift or hurts himself.

rp17 10-02-2012 12:11 PM

Checked out the shop and I must say it looks pretty good. Bays are all lined up next to each other like a shop. Temperature controlled which is nice. Few flat screen tvs which is good if your working on a Sunday and to keep you distracted. :) And the lifts were all brand new! Talk to the tech and he said they were open for just over a month or so. Already had a few cars in there. I snapped off a picture when I first walked in.

Definately a good option to have. I like the idea about the military bases though. Glad they take care of you veterans.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1349208550.jpg