986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Questions from a Boxter noob.... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37514-questions-boxter-noob.html)

jrider36 09-25-2012 08:43 PM

Questions from a Boxter noob....

Not sure if this is the right place to bring up my questions, I'm a new owner and member. I haven't had the chance to read the owner's manual yet, I'll get through that by end of the weekend.

My first question refers to the IMS, RMS stuff I'm reading about. Are these issues specific to earlier models or certain years?

Also, I hear a noise from my left side vent after turning the car off. It lasts maybe a minute. Potential problem or am I an idiot?

I have nearly 1.5 years in factory warranty left on the car, I would like to sort out any potential problems before then.

Thanks,

Justin

stateofidleness 09-25-2012 10:09 PM

Well, you drive a Boxster, not a Boxter.

IMS is on all M96 engines up until 2009 I believe. All years and models prior to that are "vulnerable". RMS is same way, but I think the 987's use an updated RMS seal (there's an updated seal for the 986 too that you can ask the dealer about).

Noise after you turn it off? There's an exhaust fan (electric) on the passenger side vent that will run, but should turn off when the car is turned off.

Welcome to the forum. What year is your car? S or non-S?

southernstar 09-26-2012 03:41 AM

In addition, one often hears small pinging, or clicking noises for a period after driving that are perfectly normal - its just the engine cooling down.

Brad

jb92563 09-26-2012 06:31 AM

Edit your profile signature to include your model and year, its important.

My 2001 S has 3 radiators up front and Fans.

I think there is also an engine compartment fan that exhausts on the passenger side on certain model years if I recall correctly.

Engine Intake is on the driver side grill.

Lots of pings as the exhaust system cools after shutting down but once the key is removed on my 2001 everything shuts down except the dash guages which are on a delay timer.

Arming the alarm shuts it all down as well if the key is out.

ProjectM96 09-26-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrider36 (Post 307370)
Not sure if this is the right place to bring up my questions, I'm a new owner and member. I haven't had the chance to read the owner's manual yet, I'll get through that by end of the weekend.

My first question refers to the IMS, RMS stuff I'm reading about. Are these issues specific to earlier models or certain years? Only happens to a very small percentage of Porsche's built from 1997 to at least 2008. If you reached 90,000 miles +, it is highly likely that you will never get those problems since they usually happen at earlier mileage.

Also, I hear a noise from my left side vent after turning the car off. It lasts maybe a minute. Potential problem or am I an idiot? That is just the fan doing its work. Completely normal.

I have nearly 1.5 years in factory warranty left on the car, I would like to sort out any potential problems before then.

You still have factory warranty? What year is your Boxster? This forum is mostly about first generation Boxsters 1996-2004.
Thanks,

Justin

Answers are above.

jrider36 09-26-2012 09:25 AM

Thanks

I appreciate all the help. My Boxster is a 09', non-S, is there a seperate forum for other generations?

Heading to Italy for a few weeks, I'll have plenty of time to read the owners manual on the flight.

Thanks again,

Justin

thstone 09-26-2012 09:32 AM

An RMS issue will simply leak oil. Its only an issue if a small leak really bothers you or if it really leaks a lot. Most people will replace the RMS when the clutch is replaced but might be covered under your warranty if it starts leaking.

An IMS failure can destroy the engine. This issue has been discussed all over this forum. Your warranty might cover this IF it happens while under warranty. After the warranty period, you're probably on your own. Do some reseach and make your own decision about whether an upgraded IMS bearing is worth it to you.

Exactly what kind of noise do you hear from the left side after turning off the engine?

san rensho 09-26-2012 02:28 PM

I believe the 2009 is a DFI with no IMSB, IIRC, so no problem.

Mark_T 09-26-2012 07:05 PM

See, this is what I'm talking about. This guy comes into the forum, he's respectful, he's done some homework, asks intelligent questions that show some knowledge, and expresses an intent to read the manual. How very un-noob-like. Bravo sir! You are absolutely NOT an idiot (unlike most first time posters in here).

Welcome to the forum. Although most peeps here have 986's, there are quite a few 987's as well and I'm sure someone will be able to address your concerns (not me though because I'm a 986'er). Enjoy your manual, and spend a few days reading through the forum. You'll learn lots. There is a search function if you wish to research specific issues.

jrider36 10-20-2012 08:30 AM

I couldn't resist

Threw a couple of blankets in the passenger seat and took my dog for the ride of her life last night!

I'll try this question again (no response in intro section).

I'm getting close to my first car wash. I've researched this site extensively and this is what I've learned 1) hand wash 2) no automatic wash 3) be careful around the side air intakes 4) minimal washing of the top. Anything last min advice before I wash my car???

Thanks,

Justin

Eric G 10-20-2012 08:44 AM

Welcome Jrider...welcome to the forum. You have hit the big ones for washing (no soap on the top) and remember to use preservative for your top at least once a year to maintain the seal.

Lastly, you need to have a hot looking woman in a bikini clean/wash your car once (photos required for warranty purposes) and that should help preserve the paint for 7 months of the year. As you can see, you may need more then one washing per year.:cheers:

jrider36 10-20-2012 01:50 PM

Thanks!

All great advice, any particular products that people recommend (any aspect of cleaning)?

Thanks again,

Justin

Dave928 10-20-2012 07:22 PM

Griot's Garage

jrider36 11-03-2012 06:13 PM

What color is my Boxster?

Ok, I'm a little ashamed to ask this but here goes... How do I find out my exact color of my car? I started with the manual and quick guide - neither had specific info on my car. Next I looked at the stickers on the doors and in the trunk with no luck. I have (2) 1 x 1 mm chips revealing metal above the window shield near the drivers side. Also, would it appropriate to purchase some touch-up paint and do it myself?

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Spinnaker 11-03-2012 08:38 PM

The paint code is on the label that is under the front hood.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1352003589.jpg

jrider36 11-04-2012 08:00 AM

Thanks, I'll look again...

husker boxster 11-04-2012 02:28 PM

987s have the paint code in the fuel door, not under the frunk hood.

Welcome to the forum.