986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Punk Mechanic Vs Top Dealer Doggie Dog (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37507-punk-mechanic-vs-top-dealer-doggie-dog.html)

Ghostrider 310 09-25-2012 10:07 AM

Punk Mechanic Vs Top Dealer Doggie Dog

OK So weeks ago you guys read about my vent falling apart and the dealer saying they would cover it, they were supposed to email me, I have heard nothing. So today, I decided to look at the problem myself, never mind that the dealer's top trained man already attempted to effect repairs and gave up, let me see what old skool can do. After inspecting the part closer one sees it's directional, a little arm grabs a slot to hold the inner fork in place so you can snap the top back together. Using dental tools, (they laughed at me for suggesting it) I was able to reassemble the vent slide back to 100% in about twenty minutes, not bad for an old guy who doesn't own the title top dealer mechanic dawg, now should I tell them or wait till Xmas for the replacement?

particlewave 09-25-2012 10:27 AM

Ha! Good stuff! :D
And good job ;)

thstone 09-25-2012 11:36 AM

Good job! Porsche likes everyone to think that these cars are works of art. At the end of the day, its just another car (a very good one, but still a car at that).

Bruce Wayne 09-25-2012 12:12 PM

didyou take pictures of the process for the forum ??

pfft!

(good job though)

Ghostrider 310 09-25-2012 01:39 PM

Bruce it's pretty tough to photograph as it's a black fork against a black backdrop going on black vents. If anyone has a 987 that fell apart, I'm quite sure I could set them straight with a phone call provided they have all the pieces. What really surprises me? I asked the dealer to help me find a car, they did nothing, then I show up with a purchased spyder which they all clamor about then they don't follow up on the part warranty. BUT.. They were able to follow up on service offers just not the part, I mean WTF! This car was expensive, the service is a freaking joke, Ford kills em all day every day. Porsche doesn't seem to care about anyone new or not unless you have stupid money and you have purchased a ton of their metal.

WhipE350 09-25-2012 01:43 PM

Don't tell them...then when they call to have you come in say "oh I fixed it with a dental tool...would you like to see a write up on it?" :)

Homeboy981 09-25-2012 01:48 PM

For your trouble….you should get their replacement and say, "Thank you very much".

Then, you have a trophy for your desk. You can explain how American Inginuity deflated the German-trained "top dealer mechanic dawg". Besides, your time has to be worth something…not enough to keep up with inflation but worth something.

Good Job "reverse engineering" that part. I laughed when I heard dental tools too! Only because I have them for just such emergencies!

WhipE350 09-25-2012 02:05 PM

yes get the part and take it home with you, then you can take pictures and show us 987 owners what you did.

Ghostrider 310 09-25-2012 02:11 PM

I'm not sure they will simply fork it over, they were very adamant about needing every piece of the old vent to return to Germany, I don't want bad blood so I'll probably call and explain the situation, still it doesn't pump me full of confidence, I'm glad the car has otherwise been a Swiss watch thus far, a real runner.

Side Note FYI Dealer was offering full flush replacement of brake fluid for $69.99 I thought that was quite a bargain, especially since a local indy tired to charge me $400 for same on the 944.

Ghostrider 310 09-26-2012 06:40 AM

Swing by to speak to service manager, explain the situation, he says he doesn't know if the part is there as he relies on parts to alert him. He calls parts, they don't know if it's there, he's going to email me (again). Mind you this car was a bit more than three of my Escapes, hey no problem though, excellent service.

healthservices 09-26-2012 07:59 AM

come fix my car! :D

Gougoushu 09-26-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 307328)
Side Note FYI Dealer was offering full flush replacement of brake fluid for $69.99 I thought that was quite a bargain, especially since a local indy tired to charge me $400 for same on the 944.

Which dealer is this? I might go for that!

mistermac99 09-26-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 307322)
Bruce it's pretty tough to photograph as it's a black fork against a black backdrop going on black vents. If anyone has a 987 that fell apart, I'm quite sure I could set them straight with a phone call provided they have all the pieces. What really surprises me? I asked the dealer to help me find a car, they did nothing, then I show up with a purchased spyder which they all clamor about then they don't follow up on the part warranty. BUT.. They were able to follow up on service offers just not the part, I mean WTF! This car was expensive, the service is a freaking joke, Ford kills em all day every day. Porsche doesn't seem to care about anyone new or not unless you have stupid money and you have purchased a ton of their metal.

I just purchased my 1999 Boxster last month. I found a great Indy Porsche mechanic who did my 60,000 service. He's been working on Porsche for 30-years.
There's a dealership in my town that carries, Porsche, VW, and a bunch of others. I took it there twice already, since it's kind of difficult to schedule with the Indy. Once to see if it could be programed for keyless remote, which it could not, and once to get a spare key made and programed. They took me to work, came back and picked me up at lunch when the car was ready, and were very nice and professional. I received a customer satisfaction survey from them after each visit. The second survey I completed, I didn't rate everything as excellent, but good, so the service manager called me to see what they could have done better.
I guess it really boils down to who the dealership is, and how much they give a damn about customer service . Sorry to hear you are having issues. The service department can make or break a car purchase.

jb92563 09-26-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 307328)

Haa, take that 69.99 and buy a pressure brake bleeder and add a $15 liter of blue brake fluid and do it yourself in an hour.

After that the flush with Gold/Blue brake fluid will only cost you $15 and probably 30 mins of your time.