986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   turn signal switch replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37504-turn-signal-switch-replacement.html)

southernstar 09-25-2012 08:12 AM

turn signal switch replacement

I have a 2000 Boxster and recently discovered that while the high-beam flash functions properly, the high beam 'on' position does not work. I plan on removing the switch to see if saturating it with some electrical contact spray will correct the problem (as recommended in another thread); if no,t I will order another switch. Although others have suggested that a faulty ignition switch can also cause this problem, I have no other electrical faults and therefore am assuming that it is the turn signal/high beam switch that is responsible.

I will need to remove the plastic steering column cover in order to access the switch and would like some advice as to how to go about this. When one turns the steering wheel, screws are visible at the front of the cover - again, I assume that these are all that is required to be removed in order to pop off the upper and lower covers. Advice from those with experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Brad

Jittsl 09-25-2012 08:26 AM

Steering Wheel has got to come off to remove the switch assembly which (at least on a 98) is a complete assembly with all your stalks - ie you cant just replace one switch. Once the wheel is off (which requires gentle removal of the air bag by removing two Allen head bolts from behind the wheel to dislodge the airbag cover) it will be pretty self evident how to remove the plastic cover and then the switch itself. From memory there are 4 screws in the front of the plastic and then four from the side. Beyond that there is another four holding the switch assembly.

Ps have a look around the Various For sale boards because somewhere just yesterday I saw someone selling a stalk set. May have been this board. Shame for me is I had one (that came out of my SpecBOx) that I couldn't give away so I threw it out.

Meir 09-25-2012 08:26 AM

hello Brad.
all you need to know you can find here:
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster On Board Computer (OBC) Upgrade / Boxster Turn Signal Switch Replacement - 986 Boxster (1997-04) -
you might as well go with the OBC upgrade.

Jittsl 09-25-2012 08:31 AM

Or read the article. Don't be afraid of this job it really isn't that complicated. Just be methodical and you'll get through it easily enough.

southernstar 09-25-2012 08:46 AM

Thanks so much Jittsl and Meir. After my OP I looked up parts and realized that it is a combined switch (with wipers and in my case, cruise control) and that it requires removal of the steering wheel to replace. Is there any way to remove the steering column cover without removing the steering wheel? I ask because I should be able to spray the switch with electrical contact spray without removing the switch itself, if I can remove the cover. If that does not work I will, of course, need to order the part and once it has arrived, remove the wheel and switch.

As indicated, by moving the steering wheel I am able to access the front screws for the cover (obviously I will need to have the wheel unlocked). Can the cover be removed this way (ie., is it in two pieces), or does it slide off over the front of the steering column, still requiring removal of the steering wheel?

Brad

Jittsl 09-25-2012 09:12 AM

It's actually three pieces. The front, the top and the bottom. If you can undo the front screws then you should be able to get the side screws (article says two small screws) and then leave the front in place and take out top and bottom I think. Give it a try, but don't force anything. Worst case it doesn't work and you remove the wheel.

southernstar 09-25-2012 09:19 AM

Thanks Jittsl - after reviewing the article/photos from Pelican, I came to the same conclusion. I'll likely try it this weekend and advise if it works.

Brad

southernstar 10-16-2012 11:28 AM

Just wanted to give a quick update. The problem with the high beams was with the owner and not the switch. Doh! It seems that I must have had the headlight switch turned only to the first setting - parking lights, rather than headlights. While the headlights in my car are automatically on when the engine is running (Canadian spec cars have 'daytime running lights'), and while the high-beams will flash in these circumstances, the high-beams cannot be turned on unless the headlights and tailights are fully on. I know, call me stupid. Can't believe that I had never noticed that before, but there you have it!

Cheers!

Brad

jaykay 08-22-2022 04:50 PM

Has anyone been able to pop the top steering column cover off without steering wheel removal? It would not appear likely from what I can see....

BFeller 08-23-2022 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 648406)
Has anyone been able to pop the top steering column cover off without steering wheel removal? It would not appear likely from what I can see....

It has been years since I did this, but I managed to add the ODBC stalk and wire without removing the steering wheel. If, and this is a big IF for me now a days, my memory is correct.