Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #1

Anyone had dealer do an exhaust smoke test?

I've been getting 1128 and 1130 again recently with a stumbling idle on cold starts. Before I replace the MAF again (second one in 11 months), I wanted to get a vacuum and exhaust test done because there is a noticeable "ticking" sound when it's running that I can't pinpoint.

Has anyone had the dealership do this test? I think it would be more thorough and properly executed on my car as they have the porsche-specific tools to do it. I'd rather spend the price of the new MAF on this type of diagnostic to know once and for all where the leak(s) is(are). I would do the repair work myself however.

Anyone know what that would/should cost me at the dealer?

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

I've had hunting idle and CEL some time back. cleaning the MAF, but more so cleaning the throttle body, as many members recommend cleared the problem.
two to three years later, 1128 and 1130 but stable idle, replaced MAF and no more 1128/1130 combo. Sorry, no help, just an intro to what I've experienced.

however, can you describe in detail your ticking sound and at what rpm and drive condition you hear this
thanks in advance
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

I have th ticking at idle myself or at least I hear it at idle.. Mine is like a paper sheet or something being flicked or something thru spokes on a bike tire.... Be curious to hear if you solve that,..
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #4

that's exactly how I describe my sound to people too. I can't pinpoint it. horrible timing too because my inspection is due this month and these damn codes keep setting off the CEL only after about 20 miles after clearing it....... ugh.... ordered ANOTHER MAF sensor and hoping that it cures it long enough to get through the inspection.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
that's exactly how I describe my sound to people too. I can't pinpoint it. horrible timing too because my inspection is due this month and these damn codes keep setting off the CEL only after about 20 miles after clearing it....... ugh.... ordered ANOTHER MAF sensor and hoping that it cures it long enough to get through the inspection.
Why not try the throttle body cleaning, if you replaced the MAF 11 months ago.
I've been reading a lot of posts with the idle hunting problem and when everyone suggests cleaning the throttle body it resolves the problem.

I'm no expert on the subject, but I have read enough posts in this forum about idle hunting.

Quote:
s01box
I've had hunting idle and CEL some time back. cleaning the MAF, but more so cleaning the throttle body, as many members recommend cleared the problem.
two to three years later, 1128 and 1130 but stable idle, replaced MAF and no more 1128/1130 combo. Sorry, no help, just an intro to what I've experienced.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

When I was in college it was very common for students to do the smoke test with everyone except the dealers they knew really well. I think your ticking noise could be a valve, just a thought, is it speed sensitive to engine rpm?
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #7

For mine I heard it only at idle...as soon as i gave even a little gas it went away tho hard to say if that's because of volume of engine or ticking speed becoming to fast to discern. I am taking my car to dealer today I will add this to list.

I've never had TB or such cleaned and also never had a compression test done which i am thinking of doing since car is about to end CPO since I bought it a little while ago.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #8

I think the ticking noise that you're describing is from the fuel injectors from what I have read in the past on this forum and others it's common and they can be noisey.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #9

A loose spark plug can cause the ticking problem, also an exhaust leak.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #10

Garage
I Need a bag of Doritos and a large Coke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
When I was in college it was very common for students to do the smoke test with everyone except the dealers they knew really well. I think your ticking noise could be a valve, just a thought, is it speed sensitive to engine rpm?
Nicely done.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #11

It did the ticking prior and post plug swap so I ruled that out. Injectors I thought about, but it seems like it's on a specific bank, not "centralized" or coming from all injectors. A valve? That sounds expensive so I ruled that out (that works right? ) I'm about 98% sure it's an exhaust leak near the manifold and it does change speed with RPM. If I'm driving next to a Semi, a wall, or a high curb, I can hear it pretty loudly. Drive thrus are embarrasing

Let me know what the dealer says and what they charge you to diagnose. It would be much appreciated.

I'll try cleaning the TB this weekend.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #12

I've had four vacuum tests done in the past year while chasing a secondary air problem. Two independents didn't find a leak. The dealer did find a slight leak in the vacuum reservoir. My point is that secondary air vacuum checks are hard to do.

BTW: While it doesn't sound like your ticking problem is the one I am about to describe, you might want to check it out. The same dealer, which found the vacuum leak, told me that an early sign of an impending IMS bearing failure is when the end of the stud breaks off and make a noise as the engine spins. I would guess such a noise would be RPM dependent. If your concerned, take it to a reputable shop and have them pinpoint the source of the ticking.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #13

I thought dealerships didn't talk about the IMS

This seems like something that would actually be visible no? Just had my IMS and Transmission out so I inspected it myself too. All looked in order. Like I said, I'm almost 100% certain it's an exhaust leak I hear, because my Indy said it was shortly after I bought the car and took it to him for my first oil change. Since then he's said it's "more noticeable", but I've never had him do the test on it (he tends to keep my car months at a time lol).

Is the fog test something that any exhaust shop can do or is there something special about the boxster that should be done by a pro or experienced p-car mechanic?

I just wanna know where it's at really before I remove exhaust manifolds and what not..
Old 09-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #14

The dealer told me several things. It mentioned two early warning signs of an IMS failure other than seeing metal flakes in the oil filter. The noisy broken stud was one. The other was an oil leak. BTW: this same dealer uses the LN retrofit kit as a preventative measure or a rehab for situations where the failure didn't trash the engine.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #15

I have only heard the clicking once the other day... When I went to dealer today it wasn't there but will see want they say. On my car I did a new clutch and L&N bearing already 5k miles ago. From the sound I suspect exhaust myself. I plan on a new muffler etc next year so I might just wait for now.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #16

i am very curious what u find as well. i have the same ticking sound at idle. i just turn up the radio and try to ignore it. I also had the RPM issues as well. I tried to dean my TB, but could not get it out. Instead, I cleaned the air filter since I was there. That fixed it. Finally, I had a rattle in my exhaust system somewhere, So I changed out a new muffler and cat converter, but still there. I checked the heat shields too. It's annoying and even embarrassing when driving. So I am very interested in what you find