986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Can I replace the Litronic Headlight assembly with the cheaper non-Litronic assembly? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37457-can-i-replace-litronic-headlight-assembly-cheaper-non-litronic-assembly.html)

dpaisley325 09-20-2012 06:37 PM

Can I replace the Litronic Headlight assembly with the cheaper non-Litronic assembly?

Can I replace the Litronic Headlight assembly with the cheaper non-Litronic assembly? The Litronic assembly has 2 electrical sockets and the non-Litronic has just the main socket. I have had some problems the driver side assembly coming loose and the main electrical socket is not seating properly. I went through the wheel well and by pushing down on the socket from the back and pushing in the headlight assembly, I was able to get it seated. But the assembly keeps coming loose after awhile, the lever does not seem to be putting enough tension on the assembly to keep it in place. Any ideas or suggestions? I have a 2003 Boxster s.

Crono0001 09-20-2012 06:40 PM

Why would you want to switch FROM litronics? Many of us aspire to obtain litronics :P
I'm sure fixing it would be easier than replacing it.

boxster7614 09-20-2012 09:36 PM

That extra socket is only for the control of the auto leveling feature. It sounds like to me you just have dirty electrical contacts and need to clean the contacts in the sockets. They make a spray that is used to clean electrical contacts, last time I purchased a can I got it at my local auto parts store, can remember what they called the spray, just ask them. Maybe a small tooth brush could be used to clean contacts, its just hard to get into those small holes. Try the spray....even WD-40 may work for you. That's where I would start.

Msw-986 09-21-2012 02:58 AM

Just ask for electrical contact spray. Electronic hobby stores have it, guitar stores will have it, automotive stores to

dpaisley325 09-21-2012 05:53 PM

Thanks, like I said I did get it back together. hopefully it will stay. A non-litronic headlight assembly is a lot cheaper than a new litronic. I just want it to work. I don't think the contacts are the problem. The plug assembly into which the assembly contects into was slightly cracked and out of alignment, so I was able to jimmy it in from behind going through the wheel well. I am just not sure the assembly is clicking in correctly as it uses pressure from the leverage rod to keep the assembly in place. I may have damaged something after shoving it in so many times. Right now is has been holding for 2 days.